Fleas... I'm a magnet.

Page 3 of 3
Janet Baraclough wrote:

with the british having colour long before americans got color you'd most likely have more experience with keeping the colour between the lines.
<g>
(snip)

Sorry, just another human being. Please note the feet of clay. I see I don't have much time as the "Mad Cow" gang is on their way.
Vegetable oil was just the first thing I thought of because that is one of the things that the mosquito abatement program in Sonoma County recommends for standing water (usually considered non-toxic). The first thing they recommend is mosquito fish or is this going to jam up the dragonflies too (one wiggler might look much like another wiggler, much like sharks with seals and surfers)? I'm not an entomologist, so if this idea falls flat or you want to explore it further, check with your local mosquito abatement program or the Entomology Dept. of your nearest University.
Oops, I hear the sound of hooves, I'd better run.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

standing water is entirely different than a pond. standing water would be the stuff caught in old tires, or possibly a rain barrel. it's water that isn't part of an ecosystem (no frogs, no fish, no other insect larvae, possibly algae but no other plants)

mosquito fish are too small to eat dragonfly larvae. in fact, they're likely to be eaten *by* the dragonfly larvae :) mosquito wigglers are tiny (but my chickens love them). dragonfly larvae get much larger, up to just over an inch long (depending on the type of dragonfly obviously). damselflies, otoh, are what 'ant lions' (doodlebugs) turn into. young water boatmen & watermelon seeds (i should look up the real name of those) also eat mozzie larvae. lee

Sorry I tried to help. No thanks required.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
enigma wrote:

Actually ant lions and damselflies are different orders of insects...damselfly nymphs, like their cousins the dragonfly are totally aquatic. Adult ant lions may resemble damselflies but an easy way to tell them apart (other than the awkward flying) is the adult ant lion will have distinct antennae sticking out from their heads.
Lar

thanks. don't they also hold their wings differently (folded) when at rest? or am i confusing them with something else? lee
enigma wrote:

Most damselflies will rotate the wings almost 90 degrees then "park" them running the length of the body where ant lion adults will turn them slightly where they look more flat and then extend them the length of their body.
Lar
Billy wrote:

[....]
[....]
that would be a huge mistake as well as an aquatic ecological disaster.
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

well, you brought back a memory from me, Scott......I too had a way into my basement back in Nashville where I put the litter box for the many cats I had at that time. Here is the ONLY solution which will give you relief. Back then, the house I lived in had a dirt basement with a small slab for part of the floor. The breaker blew out and my husband who had been drinking all night and had had a bit of the hair of the dog had just gotten out of the shower. Convenient timing, to say the least. So anyway, he goes and opens up the basement door, moves the cat box aside and starts to descend the steps and gets to the bottom one and to the box that is on a cedar post that my dad's electrician friend had installed breaker box replacing the old fuse box, and I heard this scream, growing louder as the thumping rose to the main house....apparently Squire had descended into what the bug man later described as a bed of fleas that absolutely adore dirt. They can lay dormant (as Lars will attest seeing as he's an exterminator himself <g>) and breed quietly until they are a mass of starved fleas just waiting for blood. My cat's would stop at the top of the landing and refuse to go to the box sitting there. And the bug man told us that fleas could jump 36 FEET?????!!!!??? holy itchy flesh. So Squire's ankles were BLACK with fleas when he went down the steps to throw the breaker. The bug man started down and they went for his face.........he'd sprayed the cuffs of his pants and sleeve cuffs and they still went for his face....oy vey!!!
Short answer was, he sprayed the dirt, laid down boric acid powder, then put powder on the steps leading down, and told us to put the litter box somewhere else. If one of the cats had gone out of desperation, they'd been almost sucked dry as the fleas had gotten downstairs from one or two and had quietly and manically multiplied. Scary thought.......And I adore Frontline for my dawgs and cats now. Advantage doesn't seem to work as well for my animals as Frontline does. don't know why, and no flaming please for those who Advantage DOES work. It's the same for critters as it is people. Some people stuff works like simply eating garlic (my cats adore garlic which DOES help as they sweat through their pits unlike dogs) but the Frontline works miracles. Pest or "Old Krusty the Kat" as he's known during the spring and summer months because of his skin condition due to mosquito's gnawing him to hundreds of sores suffers horribly. Garlic helps, but not until the nights cool does he get relief. I also feed him "mush" (soft cat food, not shredded, but just Friskies or Alley Cat whichever is on sale at the local grocery) which helps put oils back into his coat. He's almost naked during these months due to not fleas, but mosquito's poor kitty......He is now actually growing his fur back right now. And we finally got RAIN yesterday!!!! WOO HOO!!!!! better late than never, eh? Good luck on the advice there for yer fleas. I had fleas for the first time in YEARS this year due to the drought and conditions. And apparently this year was the worst MY bug man had seen for black widow spiders in this region. (we have them, as well as recluse's and a wide assortment of other harmless spiders, and I had my first sighting of a "garden writing spider" in six or seven years which was really awesome. I suspected that "Bugs Bob" might have accidentally treated part of my front gardens and was the main reason I didn't have them, but I'm not sure. I'm so organic in regards to my flower beds that I still had mantis and bees and lizards, toads, peepers, cicada's etc en-mass this year despite that I never watered at all......
madgardener, still up on the ridge (for now), back in faerie holler, overlooking a wonderfully colorful and now misty English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36