Fleas... I'm a magnet.

Page 2 of 3

Would you settle for beneficial nematodes outdoors? http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/nemas.html http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2081.html http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/animal_owners/animal_health/derma tology/pages/natural.html These, however, will not work in drought conditions.
Since you have cats, do not use linalool,citronella, etc.

Many fleas spend a good deal of time off the host, so topspotting with something like Advantage is useful. So would spraying one of the insect growth regulators inside -- my current preference is for nylar -- excellent safety profile in humans and animals other than insects, keeps baby fleas at the juvenile (non-biting)stage but does not kill them. Mix the concentrate in water and apply with a garden sprayer twice a year.
Many home control products are an IGR with a pesticide for immediate knockdown -- I prefer to apply the IGR alone on a regular basis and simply wait out the couple of weeks or so before you start seeing the benefit if you don't use an IGR regularly. Nylar can be used outdoors, but I prefer to keep it in, as it's fairly broad spectrum in the insects it hits. http://www.pestproducts.com/archer.htm
Kay

This is the same outfit I got the info on the borate treatment. Here is their complete flea control page
http://www.pestproducts.com/fleas.htm
I'd still give that borate powder a try, it definitely worked here. Now that I see the bottle on the page for Fleastoppers I see that it is the same product I used.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

If they worked I'd be impressed - they didn't here. And I say that as a long-suffering flea bitten human who finally got rid of the nasty little buggers with borate powder.
The point is, do you have a persistent problem that hasn't been controlled by other methods? If all of the other treatments work for you then great. If they don't, then this is a viable option.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
I forgot to mention another potential source of insect infestations, which is buying old furniture, especially upholstered stuff. It's worth flea-dusting (and beetle-inspecting) newly acquired treasure before it comes into the house.
Janet
Hmmmm....

A friend used to joke with me and say "fleas and mosquitoes are attracted to female hormones". So I quit saying that those pesky bugs were biting and just used a product by "Cutter - botanicals" for the body. It works - if you do not have any allergic reactions to the botanicals products. If you have allergies, the standard bad guy "DEET' like in "OFF" might be better.

I have sprayed my yard near the house with that "Cutter - botanicals" for the yard. It states as a repellent not a bug killer. Read all labels first, just in case I am wrong. Again I have no allergies, if some one does have such allergic reactions, they may have problems, I never did.

Nooooo, Mint is a stinking miserable WEED in my book. I planted just one about 6 years ago, three years later it was all over my yard and garden. It took years more to wipe out that cursed plant.

I have dog door for my little Yorkie. When I first got him I was also concerned about putting chemicals on little Mickey. However, that quickly changed when I saw ticks in his doggie bed. Hail Frontline, it works, no bugs at all on the dog or in the house. Lyme or west nile is probably worse than the chemicals. Little Mickey seems to be just fine. If I have read things correctly, The Bug stuff for pets goes like this. Advantage kills more bugs. Frontline last longer. Your choice or bugs.

I use fly tape in the garage. When it gets dark, I just turn off all outside and most inside lights and close the shades and curtains. I have found, like most people, lights attract bugs.
Sounds like you have a walk in basement. Do you have a dehumidifier? Dryer areas might have fewer bug problems than damp areas. If you have house plants down there - that could also help breed the bugs. Spray the plants. Old broken floor drain tiles could also be a source for bugs.

Those are my thoughts .... Enjoy Life ...... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

about every 5 weeks the three cats and the one dog get treated with FrontLine. the stuff works well and it don't make the cats sick.
for me, when I go to the pond or out where the mosquitoes are thick I use a mixture of water and Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil. get one of those little pint bottles with a pump spray mister. fill it half full of water and then add about 6 to 10 drops of the Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil. I mist myself and the insects will leave me alone.

Have you considered putting a layer of vegetable oil on the pond?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

Avon Skin-so-Soft's mosquito repellant properties are a myth. it repels *me* though. ick :p i like Crocodile anti-bug. no citronella! we have a pond, 2 brooks, upland wetlands, & 20 acres of swamp. there are virtually no mosquitoes in the 3 acres of 'yard' around the house since we got the chickens. no ticks at all (until you get into the woods). the chickens do a great job keeping all kinds of bugs in check. they also eat small snakes, which i think is a disadvantage but some may like.

good way to kill all life in the pond! mosquito dunks work well, & only on mosquito larvae. you do NOT want to kill your dragonfly larvae! dragonflies eat a lot of mosquitoes, & assorted biting flies. lee
enigma wrote:

Along with interrupting the gaseous transfers at the water surface.
Lar

It's the most effective repellent against Scottish midges, though (they are much smaller than mosquitoes, don;t breed in water and bite even worse.)
Janet.
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Avon had a Skin-so-Soft powder that smelled just like the bath oil. it was the best damn flea powder I'd ever used. can't get it anymore because they discontinued the manufacture of it.
I wonder if they got tired of people calling and wanting to order some flea powder?

The version available here is a push-button spray (not aerosol) , "Woodland Glade" flavour. It's very light and non greasy but men don't much like the smell. It's always fun working in the woods when I put it on, and offer squirts to t all. The men always say no. I can guarantee that within 10 minutes every single one of those midge-bitten guys will sidle up on his own, and mutter "Uh, maybe..could I just..please....changed my mind."
Janet
Janet Baraclough wrote:

yep, I know exactly what you mean. it is like when fishing buddies break down and say give me some of that home made mosquito repellent.
if it works, don't knock it because relief is relief. damn mosquitos!

but if you don't have mosquitos?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

then why would you be putting oil on the pond? even if you don't have mosquitoes you don't want to kill the dragonflies. they eat other insects. (we have hundreds of dragonflies, damsel flies & predatory wasps) if you don't have mosquito larvae in the pond (what pond in the US doesn't?) then obviously you don't need to put dunks in, or empty & refill ever three days (for garden ponds or stock tanks), but then you don't need to go dumping oil into the ecosystem then either. where on earth did you get the idea that putting vegetable oil on a pond was even remotely a "good" idea? i thought you were somewhat ecologically savvy. lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be

No, he's a troll pretending to be ecologically savvy who can't quite join up the dots to get the picture.
Janet

Wow. Look at what you did to that "strawman". Just what I'd expect from someone who is un-American.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Janet Baraclough wrote:

could it have been one of those dot pictures with no numbers?
<g>

Don't colour over the lines, Jim.
Janet

Well the troll would like to know if that is a threat from an un-American?