First time mistakes?

I was going thru these posts and it got me to thinking about when I first started gardening. One of the mistakes that I did at first - heck I was new at this - was to plant too many seeds close together. When they did grow I had more plants than room!
And of course when I first started to plant 2 days later I would be out to see how much they had grown! My mother got a good laugh out of that!
Rose *************************************** "Give A ShoutOut To The World!" Put Your Voice Message Online at: The ShoutOut Page http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm
Roseb441702 wrote:

Gardening is all about trying new things and LEARNING from our "mistakes". I have been doing it for over 45 years and I still learn something new every year.
One of the greatest joys of gardening is sharing your garden and knowledge of gardening with others and helping others not make those "mistakes" that we all made when we started.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
You fooled me, Billy Bob.
I always thought gardening was about growing plants.
If you do a little homework, you can ovoid making many mistakes.
Too many "garden clubs" are actually social clubs that have little or nothing to do with gardening.

first
new at

had
to see

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Why do you call me Billy Bob? Is that suppose to be a "put down" or something?
Cereoid,
You are one of the most knowledgeable people that I have ever seen post in the garden groups but the way you treat people is way beyond my understanding. I've doing nothing to you, nor have other people here but you constantly treat people bad for no reason. Why?
By the way, your "garden clubs" remark is exactly how I feel about them too.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
My biggie mistakes: not staking tall flowers or indeterminate tomatoes!
Love caryn "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
I'll admit this big DUH! mistake. Being very naive and new to gardening, I thought that I had killed my hostas when they died back in the winter. I was certain I had a black thumb. It was only when they came back up in the spring that I realized I might be able to keep plants alive after all.
:)
NAearthMOM wrote:

^_^ Gardening is a constant learning experience. I can understand your Hosta experience. They sure are 'gone' in winter. And I don't think many plant labels say "perfectly healthy leaves suddenly yellow and die each fall. Don't worry." I've planted too much (and too little), under- and over-watered, and because I *love* full-sun plants, have tried to hypnotize them into thinking 2-3hrs/day is plenty.
The *good* thing about gardening mistakes is that we generally learn from experience. And there are many around to help -- with advice and experinece, 'though seldom with digging!
Should I call you Mr. Bill instead?
I had no idea that you would get so paranoid over being called Billy Bob. There must be scores of Billy Bobs where you live.
I had no intention of exceeding your understanding.
BTW, you probably meant "badly" not "bad".

Have you ever considered dividing your plants?
Spreading your seed too widely can get you on the Jerry Springer show!!!

new at

had
see
Interestingly enough, I planted a pot back in early June with Peter Pan Zinnia seed from Stokes, and Botanical Interests Yellow Cosmos seed from Garden Trails. I planted on a Saturday. On Monday, virtually every seed had sprouted. On Tuesday, the sprouts were at least 4 times the size they were on Monday.
First 2 day seed growth I ever had. :)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Roseb441702) wrote:

new at

had
see
We had some trees in front of our house and I kept planting flowers along the front.,Maragolds and such, They kept dying. Finally my neighbor told me " They needed more sun than they would ever get with the trees. It was one of those duh moments, I should have known that. Phyl
Mine's seeding too many carrots. I do it every year. Gotta wear my glasses when I'm planting. My first year of real gardening, I dug two beds side by side with a three foot space between the 6x4 beds. The space had not been dug up, just left as it was. I lined the beds with small rocks and stood back, proud of myself. My neighbour leaned over her porch and asked my to come up to see her. She turned me to view my carefully dug beds( still unplanted ) and asked my who I planned on burying. True enough, they looked like grave sites.
--
Jayel