First pickings from the garden! Yay!

Hi Y'all!

Thought I'd drop in to see how everyone's gardens are going...

I got my first pickings from the garden peas a couple of days ago. Have more that should be ready to come off today. We were a little slow getting the garden started this year, as the cooler weather didn't want to let loose it's grip here in NC. One day it would be in the 70's then the next night it would frost/freeze! Stayed that way for a few weeks, had everyone's allergies in a tailspin.

I had planted various hot pepper & bell pepper seeds in some divided trays, but someone (the hubby of course!) left one of the dogs (the trouble making one!) out all night, and well...there wasn't any saving to the trays or the seeds then. I'm guessing I'll have to order some more seeds from somewhere as I haven't been able to find any plants locally. Maybe it won't be too late to get a good batch of seeds up and running. Don't know what I'd do without my peppers!

I had Wyatt out in the flower beds with me not long ago, he thought he was helping mommy with the weeds, and he wound up breaking off all my glads! So much for them this year! He broke them down to just above the bulb.

Glad to see most are still around this group...I've been checking in from time, but with the kids and trying to finish up planting season and all (we have over 2100 acres of corn this year!), I don't always have time to read everything on here, but I do try to keep up when given the chance. Always trying to learn something new!

~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Since you asked

Mine got off to a very slow start. No excuse, since here in So.Calif coastal we plant all year. I just couldn't get my uh, trowel in gear for several months. Finally in MAY (shocking!) I put in the seed that my Canadian friend sends every year.

Usually does well,but this year, lousy. Dunno if it's the seed or what. Have to stoop to buying tomato plants, I guess; would take to long to re-seed and wait to see if better results. A few cucumbers coming up; almost no beets (and they were planted from store seeds). Go figure!

Only thing coming up is daikon and radish, and some pea vines that germinated on their own when I pulled out the old pea vines.

OTOH, there are great tomato and cucumber plants growing in a couple of decorative pots on the back porch where I planted two beautiful blue Hibiscus (which as you know is not a hibiscus at all). I planted them in my own mix, including compost, so wherever the seeds came from, they're doing a lot better than the ones back in the veg. garden! Will transplant them at twilight so they can settle down before tomorrow's sun hits.

Will also plant some corn and pepper seeds. You have 2100 acres of corn!!! Is this a commercial operation? I'm impressed!

I also transplanted some Clivia, which is a tough all, since they like to snuggle close together. But they are so gorgeous, I can't wait for them to bloom. Got a few plants from a neighbor 'n' years ago; have transplanted many times; they're tough cookies; always settle down and go right to work.

OK, back to the loathsome work of pushing papers.

Hasta la vista

Persphone

Reply to
Persephone

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with a late start! Although, I did hate to hear I'm not the only one with a bit of trouble with it. My cukes, various types peas, beans, and tomatoes are all doing well. Had trouble with the first corn seed planted in the garden, had to replant that, but it's doing well now! We can do without the beets...lol!

Yes, it is a commercial deal. Several farmers in this area (my husband & I included) are working together this year, swapping some fields out, going into crops together, splitting costs, all due to the rising fuel costs. One local farmer owes nearly $19,000 to the fuel company alone so far this year. Of course he has 11 fuel tanks that they fill for him and he does purchase bio-fuel, and that is currently 6 cents more than the regular off-road diesel fuel. Part of the corn raised will go to markets, and the other part to the local community farmers markets, etc.

We do have 6 twenty foot rows of corn in our garden though.

Good luck on your transplant! I've grown Clivia before, but not had any around in a few years...didn't think to take any when I moved.

Have fun! lol! I'm working on supper here!

~Rae

-------------------- old info snipped

Reply to
rachael simpson