First Acid Rain.....Now Iodine Rain

A few years back acid rain was in the news. Now we have iodine rain! They tested rain water here in Pennsylvania and found the iodine level

1300 times higher than federal standards. The nuke disaster in Japan will indeed have an effect on the USA. Still they say: don't worry, all will be well. I'll tell you one thing, if my tomatoes start to glow in the dark this season, I don't think I'll be eating too many BLT's.

Rich from PA

Reply to
EVP MAN

I used to hunt deer near a Superfund site. Told folks the deer were easier to spot since they glowed. But, seriously as a retired chemist, I'm suspicious about all these frightening analyses coming out. If they are not being done routinely and are new spot analyses, they could be way off. Let's hear from our analytical chemist.

Reply to
Frank

Rich, do you have a citation for your iodine levels?

PSAs here are mostly hand holding with little information getting through.

Low levels of radiation found in West Coast milk

By MARY CLARE JALONICK ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 10:05 a.m.

WASHINGTON - Low levels of radiation have turned up in milk samples from two West Coast states.

Traces of radioactive Iodine-131 were found in milk in California and Washington, according to federal and state authorities who are monitoring for contamination as the nuclear crisis unfolds in Japan. But the officials say the levels are still 5,000 times below levels of concern and do not represent a public health threat.

The Environmental Protection Agency and the Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday that radiation was found in a March 25 milk sample from Spokane, Wash. The California Department of Public Health said on its website that a similar result was found March 28 in San Luis Obispo County.

(cont.)

Reply to
Billy

Even in Michigan, very small minute amounts radioactive materials from Japan have also been detected in the air. In the back of my mind, if trace amounts can be detected half way around the world, Japan must be in really bad shape.

Reply to
Nad R

Well Japan is having it's problems, but the ability to detect very small amounts of substances has improved immensely.

Somehow I lived through open air A-bomb and H-bomb testing. I suppose I'll live through this too.

They say it's less of a worry, the older you are. Small solace, I was young during the open air testing.

Reply to
despen