Fire Ants

How can one get fire ants out of their compost pile?
Is there any safe way of getting fire ants out of compost piles?
Give them all pink slips and tell them they've all been laid off and will need to go somewhere else to find work!!! (Be sure to blame it all on the slow economy and raising gas prices!!!!)

I think I would try some Amdro bait.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:36:36 GMT, Hound snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Yes, learn how to compost and you'll have temperatures to high for their survival!
:) >Is there any safe way of getting fire ants out of compost piles? :) :) :) Yes, learn how to compost and you'll have temperatures to high for :) their survival!
The heat may keep them from nesting in the main part of the heap, but many times they are actually nesting next to the pile and using the heat for their incubation, transporting their eggs/larvae through the top levels of the pile.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
If you don't know the answer, which apparently you don't, then feel free to keep your two cents out of the mix.

That's fine when your compost is hot. My compost is not hot because I dump it there and come back a year later. I don't constantly turn it and mess with it. I don't have fire ants in it, either. But, that's probably because I use beneficial nematodes.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

No easy way. Look here:
http://www.netpamj.com/fireants.htm
Best of luck.
Very helpful web site.
Thanks,
Hound Dog
opined:

Amdro, which is a bait cost about 9 dollars per acre to treat. Logic, an even less invasive product cost about 15 dollars per acre to treat. The treatment lasts about 2-3 months. Beneficial nematodes cost about 20 dollars and they take care of my half acre all season, with the occasional mound showing up here and there, which I knock down using dry molasses. Apparently, fire ants do not like molasses.
Victoria