Filling Tree Cavities

I have a small cavity, 3" wide, 8" long which used to be only about 1" deep near the bottom of an old oak. I put roofing cement on it a few years back to provide a barrier from insects. Unfortunately, it either didn't work or ran out over time. Now the wound is another inch deep and shows signs of insect damage. Fresh looking wood exposed. What would be the best way to fill this cavity? I have heard some warnings against using concrete, but I have had several very healthy trees removed that had large cavities filled with concrete and appeared to be healthy. Any ideas on what to use for fill woould be appreciated, as well as any ideas on how to treat for the insects that are there prior to filling.

Reply to
Rob

Years back people used to fill cavities in trees. The recommendation today is to just keep the area clean and allow the tree to heal itself. I have a tree that had a rather large cavity, but in 4 years it healed over and sealed itself.

Reply to
Phisherman

The problem with filling rotting cavities with concrete is, that if you don't get every scrap of rotted wood out before filling, it just comes back. It's best to just clean it out, try for drainage through the cavity to discourage sitting water, and hope for the best.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Best bet is to leave it be. Nature will take care of it and the tree may become hollow or have an even bigger cavity but it does not necessarily mean it will die. Filling a cavity is only looking to create more additional problems If the tree shows signs later on of presenting itself as a hazzard tree due to a huge cavity, then have it removed. I had a huge oak that was totally hollow inside. I have others with cavities large enough that 2 full grown people can stand in side of them, and they have been thriving just fine for many many years. They are not in an area if they do happen to break will cause any damages but they are still just too nice a tree to remove or take a chance on filling a cavity and probably killing it in the long run.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

A hollow tree is actually stronger than one with a solid trunk, and if you are worried about it being able to survive have a look at this web site.

David Hill