Filberts (Hazelnut) catkins opeining in NJ ...

All: FYI I was going down the road in southern NJ on January 20 and noticed hazelnuts shrubs with the male flowers (catkins) fully open! The trees in the forest are still keeping their gametes close to the vest tho'
We has a few warm days and, although it is now 10 degrees F and we are expecting a blizzard this weekend, I suppose that's all it takes. Gotta feel bad for that poor pollen...it'll be hazardous wait. Shiver, shiver... ML
--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
Consulting Forester & Arborist
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
Consulting Forester & Arborist

i tried to tell the skunk cabbage in our swamp that sprouting in december was a bad idea.