Filbert

Hi,
Is there are best time of year to prune the Contorted Hazelnut? I haven't for two years and it is kind of out of control at this point but I don't want to damage it as its a beautiful tree.
thanks, sonia

I always thought the idea was to let it grow "out of control" and therefore the name "contorted."
Sonia Van Tassel wrote:

If it is beautiful then leave it alone.

USDA Zone 8
I'd love to leave it alone but its growing out into the street, sidewalk and driveway.
Anyone know the right time of year to trim it?

Pruning during the winter tends to encourage strong re-growth. Summer pruning causes very little growth and even this is weak, and can be easily trimmed. Best Wishes Brian.

Thanks Brian.
Make sure that you cut all of the straight "suckers" from the bottom, then work from the bottom, upward for a really pretty tree.