Figs!!!!

Few months ago, bought some plants inexpensively from a man who was selling them off his back lot. Big, fat cactus, few other plants -- and a baby 3' fig tree that I bought just for its attractive foliage & potted up.

Well!!! Baby started making figs from the get-go. Was I surprised & thrilled! Have harvested 2 dead-ripe figs already (indescribable taste) with more waiting in line.

Now why can't my apricot & plum, which are now 4 years in the ground, do likewise?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Once you eat a fresh fig, you will never again touch a dried or canned fig. My neighbor across the street has a fig tree. He showed me how to unlock his side gate and told me to bring my own ladder and pail. He also said not to bother him by ringing his doorbell, that I should just go in and pick as many as I want.

Ripe mission figs are dark purple and very sweet. Ripe kadota figs are pale yellow and not so sweet but still flavorful.

Reply to
David E. Ross

David

The little fig is bearing lots of fruit, but (after the first two ambrosiac figs) they remain small and fall off. Also plant is losing leaves.

It's only early August. I realize the Mission Black Fig is deciduous, but in our more or less mutual climate, is this normal?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Either the weather has affected the tree, the tree did not get enough water, or else you have a gopher problem.

Reply to
David E. Ross
[...]

Either the weather has affected the tree, the tree did not get enough

??? I was asking whether deciduous fig should be shedding leaves this early in the season.

Gets plenty water.

Season = usual for this area (but everything is outof phase acct climate change) ) Gopher ??? how would that work? Straight question.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Gophers love the roots of fig trees. I can't recommend a method to eliminate gophers; there are too many variables.

This is far too early for a fig tree to go dormant. That is why I suggested some kind of trauma.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Little tree is in a pot, so don't think it's gophers. Have never seen a gopher on my property in these many yearsl

That's what I thought; it's way too early! Will ask nabe nursery if they know.

Tx for help.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson