Fig ID?

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down? These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

Reply to
Frogleg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I *have* googled, but most images are simply labeled 'fig tree' or 'fig' and most text references that distinguish figs by name don't provide pictures or descriptions of how to ID the different kinds.

Around here, fig trees aren't bought -- they all seem to be from cuttings. My own tree is now a little over a foot tall in a pot. I suppose I should get it into the ground soon.

Reply to
Frogleg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Sunset Western Garden Book lists 14 cultivars of commonly grown figs. All are varieties of Ficus carica, the edible fig. All of these cutlivars are identified by a description of the fruit. So I think you will have to wait to see the ripe fruit.

Emilie Norcal

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

Thanks, Emilie. I have (an old version of) the Sunset book, and didn't think to look there. Also have a new Sunset book for this area of the country. The figs are gorgeous -- when I cut them into the jam pot, it's a beautful color scheme of light and dark green with rosy pink innards. Will be happy to take photos of the ripe 'uns.

I'm not much of a canner/preserver. Dealing with pots of boiling water and bushels of tomatoes in high summer holds little fascination for me. But making fig jam is ideal: a pot of fruit burbling on the stove and sending up fragrant steam is more than welcome on a cool October morning.

Reply to
Frogleg

7b? [web search... fig hardy to 0 degrees F, so ok] they might be sassafras, but if you see little hard green figs, (and you should have seen ripe figs by now) then it's a fig

otherwise, figs varieties are difficult ot determine. friut on one tree can visually vary much. and growing conditions cause a lot of variatoins.

ira condit (uc riverside, i think) was teh expert who classified figs (50's and 60's i think) He (with assistnace) found many synonyms!

Reply to
Gardñ

So I've read since. I don't suppose it matters, as long as the jam is good. :-) I believe I started this quest because the fella with the tree that supplies the figs that make the jam wanted to know what kind they are. I will tell him "edible" and leave it at that!

Thanks for the reply. I'll see about getting a good photo to post in any case.

Reply to
Frogleg