Fertilizing a pool area.

Helping out at a pool club I belong to. Some of the board members want to fertilize the grass in the pool area. The pool is covered now and we were wondering if there was one brand of fertilizer that is better than another not to contaminate the pool water. There is a slight hill on one side of the hill and some were worried about rain run off. Would a liquid application be better?

"Welcome to our 'OOL'. Notice there's no 'P' in it ... that's what the lawn area is for."