Fertilizer spreader clogs? any advice?

I have a newer scotts fertilizer spreader. I always seams to clog up. I think it is due to slight more in the fertilizer. I keep it in my aluminum shed ( in the original plastic bag). I seal the opened bag with duck take when in storage. I tryied drying it out by putting a smaller amount in a plastic bucket, but it still has a bit of moisture in it. Anyone else have this problem? Should I be storing the fertilizer differently. Can I still salvage this big bag of fertilizer, but drying it somehow? In the summer there is always moisture in the air, so how can you avoid this problem?
If it's JUST FERTILIZER, not weed/bug killer, maybe you could find a spot in the house where a small amount could be stored and dried until ready to use. Got a dehumidifier in the basement?

drying
Yes, but since it is humid in the summer time, you would this this would be a problem with everyone. How do most people store their fertilizer, in the original bag?

up.
with
smaller
how
I store granular fertilizer in its original bag, on top of cinder blocks to keep it off the garage floor. Another option would be to adjust the spreader to a lower setting, meaning that the feed slot would be smaller. That should force more of the clumped up granules into contact with the agitator or whatever it's called. You'd have to make more passes to compensate for the lower dose, but most people could use to walk more anyway. :-)

Just like any salt, it attracts moisture and clumps up. If you can store the fertilizer in a low humidity environment, that will certainly help. I applied 18 bags of lime (purchased yesterday) to the lawn today, and what lumps I could not break up with my fist, I used a mallet.
When I read the Subject line of the OP, I thought it was in regard to what clogs ( a shoe, sandal, or overshoe having a thick typically wooden sole) to wear when spredding fertilizer.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote in

LMAO! I don't know about footwear, but there are several kinds of pets you can get that can spread 'fertilizer'. They don't usually clog, but they do tend to clump.