Fertilizer ratio

At some point you will be obliged to add nitrogen to your soil, if you grow heavy consumers like tomatoes or corn, ect. Manure is the traditional choice, and a good one. I've been experimenting with legumes and rye. Legumes because they fix nitrogen in the soil (yes, I know that it is really bacteria), and rye because it puts so much organic material IN the soil.

Top soil is reduced by using chemical fertilizers, REGARDLESS of what Bill R. thinks (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here.). Chemferts work best with top soil but as the topsoil disappears, more and more chemferts must be added to maintain crop production. In the meantime, the chemferts flow with rain water into aquifers to poison the water (children are the most susceptible) or follow the water sheds to the sea where they create enormous blooms of algae that then die and decay, sucking up nearly all the oxygen from the water and create enormous dead zones. Don't tell Bill R. though. I want to surprise him ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Hmmmmm....it's been three days, and I see no cites forthcoming from ChemicalHead Rosen. He's likely trying to get his head around the cite Mr. Bill provided and wondering what the hell Punjabis are and what they have to do with all this stuff. I hope he doesn't discover that Vandana Shiva is one of them damned furriner enviro wackos and (shudder) an ecofeminist and one of the really, really smart folks on the planet. It *should* upset his little CF worldview.

Damn, some days it's hardly worth chewing thru the straps, Billy.

Charlie

"Humanity has eaten more than 80,000 plant species through its evolution. ... we now rely on just eight crops to provide 75 percent of the world's food...Monocultures are destroying biodiversity, our health and the quality and diversity of food" -- Vandana Shiva

Reply to
Charlie