Fertilizer ratio

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 07:49:18 -0600, "The moderator"

Did you test the from the same sample given to the County extension office? Keep in mind there are pockets of soil with varying pH. Over a 1 acre area I take 8 samples per year, all results are slightly different but all taken 4-5 inches under the soil surface. If the test results of one sample is way off, I tend to discard it and take another sample. There is some risk of contamination during the sample collection and possibly during the quantitative analysis.
I use about 500 to 700 pounds of lime over an acre of lawn and have been doing this for many years. Finally, some samples are showing a pH of 6.7 but none have shown alkaline.
I used to use test strips, but now use an electronic device specifically made for soil testing. Not as accurate as a lab, but more convenient and less expense.
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 13:31:45 -0600, "The moderator"

Your math is correct. If you can till it in, all the better. I test my own soil, usually twice a year, although taking the soil to a lab could be more accurate.