fertilizer? Is mulch enough or do I have to buy some nitrates and anything else? .

fertilizer? Is mulch enough or do I have to buy some nitrates and anything else?
How do I make tree branches and leafs break down faster without shreading it? Any tricks?
Mark wrote:

Mark
It depends on what you are fertilizing. I, most of the time, suggest proper mulching, where applicable, first. Instructions for proper mulching is here: http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY! www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman / Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

natural system needs.
In suburban lawns, we remove most of the stuff before it decomposes. Mulch will replace some, maybe most of it, and might be enough. But you have to look at what you are growing and what your soil is like to say for sure. Here in Austin, TX, we usually have plenty of P and K but not much nitrogen, and composted manure is all we need for fertilizing most plants. Where you are, the situation could be entirely different. Start with a soil test.
Mark
Another point worthy of mention. As far as I am aware, no one has optimum fertility levels for trees. When many people in USA think or speak of fertilizing, they mean nitrogen. There are 16 other known essential elements. 14 Come From The Soil. The 17 essential elements for Life are Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Sulfur, Magnesium, Manganese, Iron, Copper, Boron, Molybdenum, Chlorine, Zinc, Nickel [Sodium, Cobalt, Selinium?] If you are properly mulching here are some benefits (I believe). (For what I mean when I say proper mulching see: http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html ) You can stimulate beneficial bacteria, make conditions more conducive for mycorrhizae, and as the composted wood begins to break down, (as the succession of microorganisms takes effect) I believe that certain essential elements like calcium are released from the wood where it is stored. The horizens in the soil has major chemistry changes. The formation of humic acids is an end product. In fact there are many topics on the benefits of wood and the successions of microorganisms here: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/ See Logging "What It Is".
The benefits of proper mulching list is long.
These benefits are a requirement for healthy trees, i.e., I believe
If there is a word in question, we have created a TECHNO TREE BIOLOGY DICTIONARY. If you do not see I word I used that you question the meaning, please email me and I will do my best to define it or I will stop using it. http://www.treedictionary.com /
I have visited many Old Growth [PROTECTED] Forest and taken soil samples of several species of trees. I might use them for a guide as to if additional Macro or Micro Elements are needed. Please do not call them minor elements. They are anything besides minor. For far to long, we have fertilized our trees like corn. People who do not know the different requirement between corn and trees, might be best to not fertilize. The US Forest Service in Allegheny National Forest, after a logging and timber sale, the say they are fertilizing, yet they are only applying Fast release nitrogen. What about the other essential elements?