fern? help

i have recently acquired a fern which the roots grow on the surface of the soil...like air roots....they are hairy like a tarantula spider legs. the fronds and leaves grow from these roots. they are small and very delicate. can anyone identify this fern for me please?
thanks.

Sounds like a rabbit's foot fern - Davillia or Humata. Those furry extensions are rhizomes, not roots, but you can cut them off and root them to start new plants. A great little fern and quite hardy, too - I have one that has lived outdoors in zone 8 for about 3 years.
pam - gardengal
They are also very durable and carefree as houseplants. I've had one for over a dozen years. It hangs in a north window, and gets watered once a week. It always looks fresh and attractive. I repotted it once, a few years ago, when the rhizomes got so numerous that they cracked the pot.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlik.net
Zone 6, South-central PA

They are only supposed to be hardy in zones 10 and 11, so I would assume only in a frost free area. However, like I said, one of mine has been outdoors consistantly for about 3 years and during that time has experienced some very cold weather - we had a weeklong spell in the 20's in October. It is in a protected area, but they are sold here as houseplants. This just happened to be one houseplant that never made it back indoors after its summer vacation.
pam - gardengal