fern? help

i have recently acquired a fern which the roots grow on the surface of the soil...like air roots....they are hairy like a tarantula spider legs. the fronds and leaves grow from these roots. they are small and very delicate. can anyone identify this fern for me please?

thanks.

Reply to
BeBop

"BeBop"

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

They are also very durable and carefree as houseplants. I've had one for over a dozen years. It hangs in a north window, and gets watered once a week. It always looks fresh and attractive. I repotted it once, a few years ago, when the rhizomes got so numerous that they cracked the pot.

Cheers, Sue

Reply to
SugarChile

Does anyone know the northernmost limit to grow these outdoors?

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

They are only supposed to be hardy in zones 10 and 11, so I would assume only in a frost free area. However, like I said, one of mine has been outdoors consistantly for about 3 years and during that time has experienced some very cold weather - we had a weeklong spell in the 20's in October. It is in a protected area, but they are sold here as houseplants. This just happened to be one houseplant that never made it back indoors after its summer vacation.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal