Fat lady wellington boots

Hi everyone, I love gardening but with the garden turning into a bit o
a bog I need some wellies, but being a large girl I cannot find an that will go over my calves. Does anyone know of any big lady wellies? Thanks for your help Lilli
-- lillia
Hi Lillia! Try a man's size, they are usually wider in the calf.
Michaela (in Canada)

Stomping around in your garden when it is wet will compact the soil.

USDA Zone 8
Does anyone know of any big lady wellies?
Another alternative: Go to Walmart and try on a pair of "men's) wading boots (for fisherrnen). If they're OK, just cut off the tops.
When my first pair sprang a leak, high up, I cut off the tops and have been using them as "wellies" for years.
vince norris

Go to a farmer's suply shop. You'll find a wider range iof work-wellies, and even the womens sizes are wider cut than the more fashionable ones sold in shoe shops. Here, mens sizes start at 6 (37 European) and are cut more generously than womens. Or, at horse-suppliers you can buy comfortable short (ankle length) rubber boots called muckers, for mucking-out.
Otherwise, there's a very expensive French brand called Le Chameau, worn by many professional gardeners here in Europe for the superior fit and comfort. Iirc some models have expanders built into the calves .
Janet

oops, forgot this
http://www.lechameauusa.com /
click on the vierzon boot to see the calf-gusset close up
Janet.
Whadda know!!!
Those are actual boots that you wear!!!
Was wondering if "Fat Lady Wellington boots" was some sort of common name for pitcher plants.
contains these words:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:40:11 GMT

Hi Janet,
Le Chameau actually offers calf sizes over a fairly wide range, but only in the upper end of the line. I'm difficult to fit in wellies for just this reason, and recently tried some of the high end models. Too rich for my blood -- I think the St Hubert was over 200 EU -- but leather-lined and everything, they were very, very comfortable.
The good news is that they are practically indestructible. I've had my (low end) Chameaux for perhaps 12 years, they're still OK except for a tiny leak somewhere that only shows wading a stream, or in the peat bog. Anyway given the cost of replacement, I'll live with the occasional wet foot.
Apparently at the factory store (in La Ferté Macé?) they are significatly discounted, if the OP is likely to be in Normandy any time soon.
-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to snipped-for-privacy@ebayadelkadell.applecom

Hardware stores often carry boots intended for sloshing around in wet basements. Usually bright yellow so the drowned worker's body can be found. :-) These boots tend to be rather large in the calf.