Fast growing Maples.

Page 2 of 2

Poplars are a fast growing hardwood.
-- If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.
John Hines wrote:

We had poplars at our other house and they nearly drove us crazy, in that the root system sought out water. We have a well in our front yard so I might want to choose a differnt tree.
Today, we noticed the lovely maple trees and how they enhance a bare yard. Thanks for you info
On 20 May 2006 18:35:17 -0700

Hi Bette,
If I read this thread correctly you are looking for specific maple recs?
All maples are shallow rooting, it's a characteristic of the species. I have not heard that Silver maple is shallower than others, but perhaps this depends on location etc. I have 3, no lawn problems under any.
I have not heard that A. buergerianum (trident maple) is particulary fast growing. But it certainly grows at a healthy pace, and is a lovely tree.
If you want maples, here are some fast growing ones.
A. saccharinum aka Silver maple. Very strong growing but can have some problems with brittle branches in high winds. Roots can be invasive.
A. pseudoplatanus aka Sycamore maple. Many interesting cultivars to choose from, variegations etc. Very easy, but may be invasive. A variegated cultivar (like Leopoldii, beautiful and widely available) will be a little slower but also less invasive.
A. x freemanii (Many cultivars like Autumn Blaze) Easy, fast growing, good tree.
A. cappadocicum aka Caucasian maple. Beautiful big tree, very strong. Good grower. Unusual perhaps in many gardens. Nice yellow cultivar 'Aureum' if you have some shade, but a little slower.
A. platanoides aka Norway maple. Lots of nice varieties to choose from, an undemanding maple, takes wind well. Less fast growing than pseudoplatanus.
A. campestre aka Field maple. Many great cultivars of all sizes. Some, like the species, are fast growing.
A. tataricum subs ginalla aka Amur maple. Strong, bushy, takes wind well, totally undemanding. Great fall color, red samaras in summer against dark green, fast growing.
I'm sure there are other choices, that's what springs to mind.
HTH,
-E
P.S. Elms do grow fast and have nice yellow fall color. I don't have any chinese elm, but at least here in France you can now get a dutch elm disease resistant variety called Ulmus procera Resista or just Ulmus resista. I have two of these that are growing very well, and fast too.
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to snipped-for-privacy@ebayadelkadell.applecom
Emery Davis wrote:

Such a wealth of information. Thanks ever so much. The man who mows our lawn has helped eliminate the Chickweed and now our place is looking more like a golf green w/o the dandilions.
Now our neighbors are speaking to us. LOL Actually we have lovely neighbors with pristine lawns and we would like to see our area looking nice.
On our way home from church this morning, we saw quite an elaborae setting for a bare, boring front lawn. A large area of the plastic picket fencing housed a place for a rock garden, as well as an area of small bushes and Impatience. On either side were two flowering trees. : ) Bette
John Hines wrote:

John thanks for your help. Yesterday we spent some time with our landscaper. We decided up on a row of Blue Spruce, eliminating the leaves in the fall. Bette

Bette, please try to stick to maples that are native to your area. Norway maples aren't, and they're very invasive, around here they're replacing many of our native maples in the woodlands - not a good thing. They're a nice shade tree, but it's at too high a price.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

Ah, Boston. My husband and I hail from Massachusetts. We love the luscious colors of fall and would enjoy a Red Maple or Sugar Maple, and only want to plant two or three trees. Thanks for your input. Bette