fast growing hedge

A new development is starting along the north side our yard and there is going to be extensive grading. What was 45 acres of hills and fields will now be graded into sharp slopes with 1 acre flat pads on each 5 acre lot. Already there have been huge tractors with spiked rollers out to clear the brush, which had resulted in the horse trail, which was compacted and hard now being 6-9 inches of fine dust, which flies into the air at the slightest disturbance. Needless to say, I'd rather the lot remains wilderness, but it looks like progress will have it's way.

So I need to come up with a fast growing tall, thick hedge that will keep out the dust as much as possible.

We're zone 9, southern California.

Any suggestions.

Helen

Reply to
HPBudlong

Don't you have laws requiring the builder/developer to control the dust?

Reply to
Travis

disturbance.

You wouldn't happen to live in Sunland/Shadow Hills would you?

Emil

Reply to
Emil

disturbance.

Reply to
gregpresley

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good one, but because the hedge will be along a horse trail and oleanders are posionous I may not be able to use them. Helen

Reply to
HPBudlong

I sort of doubt that any hedge will eliminate dust. I can see using plant material to block a view, create shade, and muffle noise. I don't even think a solid wall or fence would eliminate dust.

Reply to
Vox Humana