farmers market pricing

What's a fair asking price for herb plants at farmers' markets?
Basil Rosemary Chives Dill Mint Sage Thyme Oregano
Probably in 4" pots
WiGard wrote:

We charge $2-$3 depending on the size of the plant. This is in a suburban area at a farm stand. You might charge more for the perennial herbs since (1) it takes longer to get them to saleable size and (2) your customers won't be buying more next year.

Whatever the market will bear. Check your local garden centers, Home Depot, etc. If the market is supposed to be an economy outlet, charge just a bit less. If it's supposed to be superior home-grown, a bit more. Also depends on clientele. And your product. A well-established rosemary plant (*not* 1st year) is worth, IMHO, a great deal more than a little pot of dill that's going to go to seed and die in a couple of weeks. Around here, a 4" pot with a plant appropriately large (not 4 leaves of basil) would go for prices circling around $4.
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:54:03 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

Where are you located? I'll be right there with plants in tow.

I know. It seems high to me, too. I got a 4" (peat) pot of thyme at WalMart last year and I'm pretty sure it was $3 or $4. As were all their herb plants, incl. annuals! 2" square ones are at least $2 at the veg market. I've quit going to the garden center except for end of season sales.
Where? SE Virginia, in a fairly blue-collar area.
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:44:23 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

Wal-Mart, eh? Wondering if the herb plants are made in China as well.
WiGard wrote:

Cretin.
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:44:23 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

Southern WI here, a land in winter of all things frozen and in summer of mosquitoes the size of small Cessnas. A former gov once called Mad city "an island in the sea of reality". Folks have money but they hate to part with it.
I do like your pricing. Maybe you could come here and market the plants for me.

Is that Madison? The home of UofW and 'Calling All Pets' on WPR?
We have 'skeeters, too -- the general area is called Tidewater, and there are plenty of beeding places. Also snow and ice, 'though not continuously.
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:06:30 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

yes... Mad-City, a place like no other on the planet.
In article snipped-for-privacy@yaho.com says...

Around here, in the city of Chicago, the prices vary from $2 - $2.50 for any of the above herbs in 4" pots. Last year Home Depot had tons of Basil for $1.99. One Farmer's Market I frequent aptly called The Farmers Market has a wide selection of herbs in 4" pots for $2.19 each. Hopefully enough of my buys last year will come up again this year. As for mint, there is absolutely no need to buy that. Find anyone with mint in their garden and they'll be pulling out the stuff like weeds and should be happy to give you some.