Falling Leaves

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:39:19 GMT, Lynda LeCompte

Yes. Crunchy leaves or soggy leaves are good for the compost. My dad used to pile leaves on top of the rose bushes to protect them from winter freezing. It's nature's blanket. Leaf mold is gardener's gold!

I planted more last season than I ever have before, and still didnt use up 1/2 the leaf & lawn clipping mold from the previous fall. Now I have a 3rd pile going from this past season's leaves.
Free to whoever wants it, just send 1200.00 shipping & handling! :-)

Okey dokey. This afternoon I purchased the largest rake I could find and a smaller one for the small areas. Hubby has a tarp in his workshop somewhere, so tomorrow, it's sleeves up and calorie burning time... probably followed by a hot bath with bath salts ;-) -- Lynda
I grind 300 large black bags of leaves every year for leaf mold.
http://www.americangardenmuseum.com/states/texas/houston_kolenovsky.html
J. Kolenovsky http://www.celestialhabitats.com
Lynda LeCompte wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
- Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN: An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed from a sig by fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

That sounds like an excellent idea that would save a lot of work. Trouble is, we've yet to purchase a lawn mower. Having just moved onto the property, we were reckoning on buying one in the new year. Hubby is after one of the zero turn jobs.

We have 20+ trees with a couple each of crepe myrtle, pecan, ash, oak, silver(?) maple and 1 cyprus. Plus several other ufo's (unidentified flowering objects ;-)
Today was going to be the big push - raking day - but it's been pouring with rain and the garden is a tad water logged. I've taken some pics - they're not very good, but should give an idea of what I'm up against... http://purplelinny.com/greenery / I'm all ears to ideas and suggestions! -- Lynda
Lynda LeCompte wrote:

pouring
against...
Well, you could go ahead and rake the wet leaves in the rain. But it looks like your lawn has some drainage problems which would make it difficult to rake without pulling up the wet turf, too. So it's not just a question of working in the rain. You would need to let those areas drain first.
Or you could go out and get a lawn vac. They look like lawn mowers except there are no blades under the deck, and there's ductwork going over the front of the deck. These vacs will suck up the leaves, and shred them before depositing them in the bag. Most of the water will drain off as the leaves are shredded, but you'll still end up with enough in the bag to make it pretty heavy. Once the bag gets so heavy that it causes the front end to lift too high off the ground, wheel it over to where you're dumping the leaves. Of course this would also work better if it were dry, but given that it's wet, it'll work better than raking.
--
Warren H.

Exactly. It's a bit of a mess :-/ There are some areas that I can rake. I went out and bought some rubber boots this afty.

Hmm. I've had a poke around the net at the different lawn vacs and some are quite reasonable and are a definate option. Hubby's buying a huge compressor for his shop soon, so I'm sure we could balance that out with a lawn vac!
Thanks for the advice. -- Lynda
Warren,
I have the Billy Goat brand vac, and it does a good job on dry leaves. The manual does not recommend it for wet leaves. I have to believe that shredding is not going to work too well on wet leaves. Since wet leaves are heavier, it will also be more difficult for the vac to suck up the heavier leaves. BTW, it does not do a very good job on pine needles even though this is a professional model. My John Deere mower with rear bagger does a better job.
Regards,
Joe Morris