Fall/Winter Gardens

I live in the foothills of the Appalachian chain--Lenoir, NC specifically.
What are some Fall/Winter veggies that will grow well?
I'm not lookin' to plant a very large garden--about 50' x 50'.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Most of the cole crops - Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, broccoli and turnips - are suited for fall and winter growing. Also spinach, leeks and garlic. Lettuce and other salad greens can be grown until frost or through winter if in a cold frame. Unless you can find starts at a local nursery, you may be a litte late. These crops are usually seeded in mid to late summer (July and August) for early fall planting.
pam - gardengal