http://i40.tinypic.com/68y5q8.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2hehx09.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/28mmxau.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/250pe2c.jpg
Norway maple:
http://i42.tinypic.com/15gw42a.jpg
Flowering pear:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aww1n9.jpg
Now yoose know why it's named red maple:
http://i39.tinypic.com/351tu90.jpg
On 11/6/2011 8:45 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Again, nice pics. Tempered by my having to remove fall color from my lawn ;)
On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:38:11 -0500, Frank

Mine just blow away... nyaaa, nyaaa. ;)
On 11/7/2011 3:47 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Chinese chestnuts and a magnolia are my problem trees. Big leaves that have to be removed or mulched. Dogwoods and the like have small leaves which are not a problem. I live on a hill and most blow down hill but not these.
Magnolia is a particular PITA as in the spring when flowers come down they too must be removed or they smother the lawn. Chestnuts have those thorny husks. Fortunately in back yard, I can leave most. Wish I had known these things when I planted them.
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:56:40 -0500, Frank

I live on a large property with lots of space between trees. Some drop leaves that are large and leathery and one would think they'd need raking but when the snow melts come spring they are entirely gone. The only picking up I do are the Norway spuce cones that drop on my driveway, however most are harvested by squirrels and those are neatly piled hidden away under the trees. Last summer I planted a flowering chestnut but it's quite a distance from my house so I'm not concerned about the thorny husks, I somehow think the squirrels will dispatch those too. It already flowered its first spring here. You can see where the deer ate some of the lower growth, I won't need to keep it pruned. The few leaves that dropped this fall are already long gone. My yard is a large expanse of open space so when the wind whistles through anything not secured flies away, an entire large tree worth of dropped leaves can be gone in an instant.
http://i40.tinypic.com/11tmqgl.jpg
On Nov 8, 9:56am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Don't know about flowering chestnut but squirrels and deer go crazy over mine But, no, the spiney husks are left behind and while they will mostly decay they are still a pain the next year. I toss most into bushes around property and mow over rest but if it were front lawn, I'd be picking up more of the mess. Benn here over 35 years and have seen trees go from seedlings to overgrown monstrosities. Like most things in life, wish I knew then what I know now.

I don't plant any large trees near my house. When I first moved here ten years ago I had seven large trees removed, one immense crimson king Norway maple that was hanging over my roof. There were also several huge Norway spruce right up close so that the view from several windows was a wall of spruce branches. After living on Long Island and experiencing many hurricanes I don't want any trees close enough to fall on my house. My chestnut tree is planted some 800' away, it's only very occasionally that I may walk about there, most of my visiting will be by tractor when mowing. My only concern was if those spines could damage the tires but I was assured that they would not, tractor tires are pretty tough. I will probably just go over them and push them into the ground. I think it will be some years before there are any chestnuts anyway so I'll worry then.

My Neighbors Magnolias are PITA and somehow that they aren't mine makes it worse. As for "going home " , we go quite often but somehow I miss the leaves every fall. Here we live on a lake full of Geese, Comerance, and Coots. The woods are full of all kinds of things not so harmless. MJ

Do you bunyips in the woods?

I don't think so but lots of Panthers, Fox and Bears among the copper heads and rattle snakes.

of course , but i do think that you worry about too much ! [image: http://www.ukou.info/g.php ]
--
samsam

On Nov 6, 8:45pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

I love my Carolina Pines but thanks for a taste of home MJ

There's no truth to "You can never go home again". I grew up here as a child, now retired I'm home. In retirement I can't imagine living anywhere else. Doesn't get more peaceful in life. Five minutes ago:
http://i41.tinypic.com/vshwea.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/k2ke3p.jpg
The ham saw the camera:
http://i43.tinypic.com/6y19ft.jpg