Fake potatoes? ? ?

We have a vine that looks exactly like a potato vine, and it produces what looks exactly like redskin potatoes.
Beautiful.
There's just one problem -- you need a saw to cut them. They're almost the consistency of solid wood.
What are these things (potatoes, obviously, but what kind) and what good are they?
sounds like potato vine to me.........solanum jasiminoides, OR it could be the wild potato vine, Ipomoea pandurata, large tuberous root, trailing or twining, leaves broadly cordate-ovate or fiddle shaped to 6 inches across Conneticut to Florida....madgardener

are