F word in forecast

Gathered about 2 dozen tomatoes... some are quite green, dark green. I've never had such dark ones before. Anyone know why? I suppose the variety? I don't remember, I just buy a few random plants.
Is it anathema to buy a store tomato, to put in a bag and help ripen a few? I don't want all to ripen at the same time. Any suggestions so other saved ones don't go mealy?