Experiences with Ipomoea ?

Several people suggested to my last post about plant recommendations to try Ipomoea ( Mornig Glory). I am dealing with the pests in the back yard and I dont want to introduce them to the front and regret it. So, whats your experience with Ipomoea?? What kind are least invasive? What kind are most? ANy and all input would be great!

MICK!

Reply to
Mick709

My experience in zone 8, planting the seeds in a sunny location, is they do poor to mediocre, & do not come back a second year. But then I put them in a semi-low-maintenance location -- they might've been fine annuals in a moister spot.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I don't believe we get enough summer heat to successfully grow Ipomoea in the PNW. I have had success with Spanish Flag (Ipomoea or Mina lobata) grown in container from starts, but seeds just don't do well. Even a start of I. coccinea in full sun fizzled out.

These are all annual vines in most of the country and relatively easy to start from seed in climates with hot summers. As annuals they should not pose ANY invasive threat and in a large portion of the country, even the seeds will not ripen sufficiently to be a problem. Just stay away from the bindweed ( I doubt you will find this available for sale, anyway.) The tricolor cultivars are probably the most popular - 'Royal Ensign', 'Heavenly Blue', 'Pearly Gates', 'Flying Saucers', etc.

Water spinach, Ipomoea aquatica, IS an invasive but I doubt that is the type of morning glory you are looking for.

This link may help:

- gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
gregpresley

Yeah, that's probably I. purpurea, maybe not the most well berhaved, but it is also a perennial form, too. Is 'Early Call' a tricolor? I'm not sure why I am asking, as I have too many other perennial vines to worry about growing the annuals :-))

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

spectacular,