Everything Under Snow

Page 1 of 2
The snow is soft & thick over everything this morning, the garden is lovely. No one's apt to come plow our steep hill, so I guess I'm snowed in. Interesting when it snows & hardly any of it sticks to the Alaska Cedar which has evolved slipper droopy fans of needles that keep the weight off its limbs in the very snowy places it grows wild.
As I'm still recovering from the flu I don't get to play in it. Would like to walk to Iris's cafe but it'd kill me just now. Weather report suggests it will get warmer & rain this afternoon, so it won't be so perfectly snowy long. I only hope it doesn't melt then freeze solid, as that could damage some bulbs that had sprouted early, though the snow itself shouldn't harm anything at all.
A mere six or eight inches snow shuts down the town, which is pretty funny, cuz when I was in Madison two feet & a blizzard shut down nothing in town.
-paghat the ratgirl

But it's a bit more hilly here than it is Madison, don't you think? And I swear the snow is a different texture here than it is in the midwest or back east - finer and more slippery. And, because snow is a much rarer commodity here than it is those areas, there tends to be less of an infrastructure around to deal with it - snowplows and sand trucks, etc. Although the DOT (just up the street from me) is beginning to wisen up.
As far as I'm concerned, shutting down everything and taking a snow day sounds like a pretty darn good idea. The lack of traffic on my normally busy street is delightful. Wish it would happen more often.
The garden looks beautiful with its covering - all the harsh angles are soft and billowy and the coral bark maple is glowing. In the extreme but very dry cold of the last few days, everything just looked kind of bleak and grim and unhappy.
A perfect day for making split pea soup with the remains of the New Year's ham.
pam - gardengal

I am getting the same front up here in Vancouver (they predict 30 cm.).
It isn't MY driving I worry about - it's the other guy who thinks that just because he is driving a yuppie 4X4 it will corner and stop just as fast as it would on dry road (I see them in the ditches as I drive about)
On 06 Jan 2004 22:24:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Spohn) wrote:

2-3" does it here in Tidewater. Or less. To be fair, it *does* depend on local accomodation to usual/unusual weather. School buses don't have snow tires or chains. Nor drivers much experience in snow-driving.

Isn't that fun? I mean seeing them in a ditch? Years ago a hot car flashed its lights, beeped its horn, and angrily passed my old VW creeping along in a snowstorm. Passed *him* later. And got home sooner with no auto-body work in my immediate future. :-)

I trust you flashed your lights, honked your horn, and waved at him as you passed........;-)
It shuts down when we get a tenth of an inch in Austin. And I mean shuts down. No school, no work, no library, nothing.
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:54:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) opined:

And where I grew up in Grand Haven, Michigan they didn't shut the schools down unless we got over five foot of snow. Dragonryder
(paghat)

like
Last night's news said there was only six inches of snow in the town I live next to, but that must've meant downtown, as up here on the hill, judging by the neat even pile on the garden bench, we had eleven inches. It rained in Seattle last night so a lot of theirs is now melted down, but we had further snowfall only, & so today it's still a nice snowy world round us. I really enjoyed bundling up & sitting on the porch watching kids (& some adults) sliding down the steep road in front of our place.
I need to get to the post office but might put it off cuz of our worn tires not apt to be maximally helpful.
In Seattle the police department threateningly forced people to stop sliding down Queen Anne Hill. One kid responded by throwing a snowball & the police did a complete shake-down search of his body as he laid over the hood of a police car -- but as it was being televised they afterward let him go with stern commands to go home & stay in his house. They continued all night to harrass anyone who tried to do any sledding, like seven police cars & a dozen cops waiting at the bottom of the hill to harrass anyone who might slide down. It wasn't because of traffic as the road was closed. At first they said it was because the city could be sued for injuries (this was a lie; suits of that sort are summarily tossed out of Seattle courts), but later they said it was because it would've gotten dangerous if it had gone on until after dark (there is no such thing as "dark" on brightly lit Queen Anne Hill, & when snowcovered it's brighter still all night long). There WERE two injuries one from an ad hoc mattress-sled crashing over someone, another from a young woman coming to a sudden stop against a telephone pole. But hey, legs get broken skiiing at lodges, & that's no reason to put an end to the ski industry either. Seattle just has a wuss-government that cannot keep tabs of its over-zealous police force; the one time the government TRIED to interfer with police behavior, they responded vindictively by watching a man get beaten to death on Fat Tuesday & didn't interfer, going ha-ha, see what happens when we don't bust heads (there were resignations over that one at least). The wussy government previously cancelled the millenium celebration for the whole city because they worried terrorists might blow up the ugly-ass space needle, & the police department's highwater mark of behavior was in teargassing half the Capitol Hill neighborhood getting people minding their own businesses in their own homes, & pepperspraying young women sitting innocently in their car, all excused by the WTO "riots" that only turned into riots after the police began acting up, & even the cop who was caught on tape pepperspraying the girls got his job back. And now they don't want kids & adults sliding down a hill in the snow, for reasons that change every news hour as they flail around for a reasonable one.
It would've been slightly more reasonable to stop the sliding down the hillside in front of our house, since it connects at the bottom with an in-use flat road, with greater possibility of a slide right into moving vehicles, though that didn't happen even once. Fortunately our local cops are either too lazy to act like storm troopers stopping a rare chance to go sledding, OR they were out there on the hillsides with their own kids.
-paghat the ratgirl
I put up two pages just of photos of the shortlived snowy days. Back yard photos: http://www.paghat.com/snowyjanuary.html all yards: http://www.paghat.com/snowyjanuary2.html
-paggers
snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) expounded:

The flagstone path looks almost like a stream bed. Neat pictures.
Tonight and tomorrow night are supposed to break records around here. Right now it's 7, dry as a bone, and very still out there; we're supposed to get 3-5" overnight. By the morning it will be well below zero, they say, and tomorrow night we're looking at -10 in Boston, which means we'll be lower.........Can you say BRRRRRRRRRRRR? Hopefully we do get that snowcover, although it's a bit late. I wish everything had had a foot or so on it before the Arctic Express arrived.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

There were only a three times when I saw things shut down in northern MN. Once was when I was a kid and a November 11 blizzard hit that left six to eight foot snow banks and caused many stranded motorist to freeze to death. Another was when I was in college and a blizzard struck that covered first story dormitory windows. The third time was a day of extreme cold in 1994 or 1995 when the governor closed all the school in the state. The high temperature in the state for the day was a -40 F. A small town not far from where we lived set a state record of -60 F. Where we lived hit a mere -55 F.
We now live in northern AR, and at first when I lived here, I laughed when schools closed at the first sign of a snowflake. I can now understand why school close so quickly here after sliding half way down the hill in our back yard after a small snow followed by some sleet. So many of the roads in our area are hilly and winding and could be extremely hazardous for a bus to navigate in slippery conditions.
John

The record low temperature for New Mexico was -50 F on February 1, 1951, in Gavilan which is at an elevation of 7,350 feet. You had better go back to telling fish stories.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 04:25:33 GMT, "Stephen M. Henning"

John/B&J wrote of MN, not NM. :-)

My apologies. He is talking about the winter of 1995-6 when the temperture set a Minnesota record of -60 F on Feb. 2, 1996 in Tower at an elevation of 1,460 feet.
When he compared it to Arizona, I thought he was comparing a neighboring state. My mistake.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

That's AR (Arkansas) not AZ (Arizona), Stephen. ;-) The only fish story I know from MN (Minnesota) is the following: Ole and Sven went ice fishing one cold Minnesota winter day. They came home with 300 pounds of ice and both drowned when they tried to fry it.
I didn't say it was a good fish story, but it's the only fish story I know. <GRIN>
You're right about the time and date of that record cold. I received a recap today from a MN friend via a news article that appeared in the "Minneapolis Star Tribune" on January 6. Usually the cold spot in MN is a small town called Embarrass about fifteen miles from where I used to live. It frequently makes national news as the cold spot in the continental U.S. Tower was thirty miles away from my former home.
John
I remember the run of extremely cold weather. It was right before and during Christmas and there was black ice all over the freeways in Mpls/St. Paul This was after some cars had slid off bridges and into the Mississippi. We went from there to D.C. where 1 inch of snow and there is a call for 4 wheel drive to take essential personnel to work. yeah right. we are back in Milwaukee, 6 blocks from the lake and I really like how much warmer it is, altho I would rather winter in Alabama. sigh. well at least it snowed before this nasty cold weather hit. Ingrid

Not outstandingly cold (merely 30ish), but weathercritters' predictions of the past couple of days progressed from "dusting" to "showers" to "small accumulation" to "up to 5"" (big deal here) by this noon as snow had been falling for 6-8 hrs. Little problem now, but falling temperatures and NW wind will make tomorrow a festival of fender-benders. Right now, snow is mostly in the attractive stage, decorating trees and bushes and covering up things the mailman can trip over in the yard.

Howdie, fellow Michigoose! Where I lived in Grand Rapids, we didn't have to go to school if it was below -10, because we walked (no, this isn't an "I walked to school through 5 feet of snow, uphill, both ways" story <G>).
John, does Marilyn know you're lurking in rec.gardens now? :o)
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Here's my garden in the summer and taken a few days ago.
http://www.brandylion.com/garden_pan /