evergreen w/dead spots, some brown tips

i don't know what kind it is, but it gets small red berries; no cones. quite tall, at least 10ft; conical shape. mature tree. foundation planting near house.

there are dead spots on it. if i cut them out will it grow new green?

also, i'm seeing some brown spots. what causes that?

and i've also seen some needles turn a yellowish green and fall off.

we had a very mild winter (pa), but there's been a lot of rain lately. still behind in rainfall, tho.

any ideas?

thank you

Reply to
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

I've got a similar situation with an enormous pine tree in my yard. Not being an expert on these things, so I don't know what's normal with these plants. I'll be calling the NY cooperative extension for advice. You should do the same. Go here, and find the phone number to call:

JoeSpareBedroom

By the way, I didn't recommend that resource to avoid giving you an answer. :-) I don't have one. Rather, there are often things happening on a local basis with plants, and a local resource turns out to be the best one. For instance, my thyme plant didn't make it through the winter. In 35 years of gardening here, I've never lost a thyme plant. When I went to buy a new one, the woman who runs the nursery said she'd never sold so many thyme plants by early May - the plants had died for quite a few gardeners. The theory is that we had a winter with almost no snow cover, and some of us probably didn't mulch the plants enough to compensate for this.

All the advice on the web or newsgroups may not take local conditions (or plant diseases) into account. It has to be found locally.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom