Espellier apple tree

I have a section of wall along my back fence I am thinking of using to espellier an apple tree. The wall is about 2 m high and 3-4 m long. The soil is about 12-18 inchs of loam, well draining good stuff.

Question for someone who might know please, do you think I'd be better of with a dwarf rootstock tree or will a semi-dwarf be ok in that area?

I realise there will be some pruning necessary but I don't want anything that will get away on me.

I have my eye on a couple of old variety apple trees.

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
George.com

On Apr 22, 5:50=A0pm, "George.com" wrote: Hi george, We had planted pear trees along our fence and went for freestyle espaliering where we prune as required since we wanted the whole fence covered without making a structured espalier. We planted dwarf rootstock and they have done very well in covering a

10 foot fence and are very productive. Make sure to get a compatible pollinator and have fun! Sandra
Reply to
pbein