English Ivy HELP!

I have a hanging basket with established variegated ivy which I bought from a grower. It was very full and healthy. Now its dying and I cant for the life of me figure out why. It hangs in my den and gets morning light thru a window. It got dry once, but I watered it deep, allowing it to drain.

Why could it be dying?

Also, on a side note, there are little balls, about the size of a bb, kinda light green color. They are full of water when you squeeze them. Have no idea what they are, but there are a lot of them.

chaz

Reply to
chaz

The little green balls are the fruit of the ivy plant. They are delicious and nutritious if eaten fresh. Pick them out of the pot and pop them directly into your mouth for a fantastic treat.

Reply to
finsterwald & hopkins

Ivy grown indoors is extremely susceptible to spider mites, specially if the plant has been allowed to dry out. Look for very fine webbing well inside the foliage - if you see it, it may be best to discard the plant and start over - spider mites are not an easy problem to deal with with indoor plants. Difficult to eradicate completely without some serious chemical intervention.

Indoor ivy will not blossom or fruit. If located in the soil, the little pods are most likely a form of slow release fertilizer. If located on the foliage, you probably have some sort of insect infestation, but not one that comes to mind immediately.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

No, you don't want to do this at all. English Ivy, Hedera helix, is toxic if eaten. It probably wouldn't kill you, (an adult,) but it will make you very ill..

Vomiting and diarrhea are not my idea of "a fantastic treat" thank you.

Emilie

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

Well, whoever posted the other is a freaking asshole. What if someone picks up this message and eats them?

Reply to
chaz