English bluebells in Eastern US?

One of my earliest memories is of picking bluebells, presumably Hyacinthoides non-scripta, in the English woods. I'd like to try growing some in our garden in the North Carolina piedmont, but I am unsure whether they would tolerate our hot summers. Any ideas? If Hyacinthoides won't work, I may try Mertensia virginica as a substitute.

Myrmecodia

Reply to
Myrmecodia

I've grown the English variety with some success here in eastern Tennessee. In locations where they were happy they were quite prolific and seem to be spreading. In locations where they (presumably) weren't happy they barely came up the first spring after planting. Trouble is that there seems to be no pattern to where they did well and where they didn't. Sadly they weren't cheap bulbs so experimentation gets expensive.

Reply to
John McGaw