Energy, health care, agriculture, climate change, global outbreaks like swine flu

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:
Ingrid, you seem a little shrill lately, everything OK?

Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus: A Growing Link between MRSA Infections and Pigs http://www.biojobblog.com/2009/03/articles/rants-and-raves/methicillin-re sistant-staphylococcus-aureus-a-growing-link-between-mrsa-infections-and- pigs/
SUPERBUGS The new generation of resistant infections is almost impossible to treat. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/08/11/080811fa_fact_groopman?curr entPage=all -----
And then, this one which has elements for conspiracy theorists everywhere. A tedious but satisfying read.
The A H1N1 Pandemic: Pig to Human Transmission of the Swine Flu? http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid 622
(excerpt) Scientific Evidence of Pig to Human Transmission
A recent authoritative study by the John Hopkins School of Public Health on Industrial Farm Animal Production (IFAP) refutes the statements of the WHO. It confirms that IFAP hog farms are not only the source of contamination of surrounding groundwater but also of the spread of novel viruses including swine flu (See Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production, Pew Foundation and Bloomberg and John Hopkins School of Public Health, Putting Meat on the Table Industrial Farm Animal Production in Americas, see also Washington Post, May 9 2009). These viruses can be transmitted from pigs to humans and then "from person to person in a community setting and well beyond." (Ibid) The transmission can also occur in the food chain. The virus contaminates the meat which is then consumed: "An infectious agent that originates at an IFAP facility may persist through meat processing and contaminate consumer food animal products, resulting in a serious disease outbreak far from the ifap facility" (See Putting Meat on the Table Industrial Farm Animal Production in Americas, p. 11.)
--

- Billy

Lemme add to this article (thanks for your link). I'm sure Steve is looking in, as this is for him also (wait a minute! I *assume* Steve is a he, but can I be sure? Can't recall any gender identifiers....hmmm...apologies for any erroneous assumptions, Steve...)
Anyway, I digress and wax idiotic in the eyes of some........here's the article
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=civilization-food-shortages
Charlene, back to the garden........