Elm beetle?

We live in the Denver area and have some pretty elms surrounding the place, but they've been getting holes in the leaves and some of the branches and a few of the trees have been dying.

We had the dead ones cut down but would LIKE to save the rest if it doesnt cost a lot. ( for us, we dont have much money )

Is it expensive to save elms like this from elm beetle?

I heard that with roses, you can plant garlic around them and it helps keep bugs away, like a systemic? Will that work with elms?

Reply to
Sarah Austin

I'm not sure about how expensive it would be to save your trees from the elm bettle, but I'm sure your local gardening store could help you find some more information.

Reply to
Kat

Sorry, you're going to lose them all. Lost all ours years ago.

Reply to
Bud

I lost my elm 4 years ago. A forest ranger told me the mushrooms that grow from the rotting roots are very delicious. Indeed there are many mushrooms, but I have yet to get a volunteer to taste them and call be back in a few days. I dried several boards from the wood and eventually made two beautiful tables with drawers. The color reminds me of chocolate.

Not sure what you can do other than contacting your local extension. I have garlic growing in front of my roses (these are "companion" plants), but don't think they are very effective keeping the insects at bay. I know deer won't eat garlic.

Reply to
Phisherman

Unfortunately here in Michigan we have been dealing with this epidemic for quite a while. The spread is very difficult to contain. We can not move any of the wood from cut trees, actually the tres cut by the state are all brought to a special shredding station.

Reply to
Andrew White

I've used coffee grounds with much success on my roses.

Reply to
Sarah Austin

Sarah:

Try the Colorado State University site:

for more specific information call your County Agriculture Extension Service.

You might also get information from the Denver Botanic Garden.

I believe I have read that Denver has an official city arborist. If you live in the city limits of Denver you can probably get information from his offce.

gloria p

Reply to
Gloria P

I use beetle bags