Elkhorn ferns

I just got some Elkhorn ferns from my mother. I decided, instead of puttying them on a board, as usual, I put them around a wire hanging. It looks pretty good. Afterwards I thought - I'll never be able to get them off when they need to be separated. Then I decided it wouldn't matter anyway, or I could just cut through them from the outside.
What are you thoughts?