Easy bulb question

I am reviewing the bulb faq which Kay Lancaster posted. But before I confuse myself, I have a very elementary bulb question:
When I buy bulbs in a normal commercial establishment, they appear to be labeled as ready to plant (The packaging says nothing of forcing or waiting.). If I put them outside in the ground now (NYC) will they grow now? I planned to have them grow in the spring and thought they needed the cold to be ready for the spring. Is the cold needed for all bulbs, but forcing (in the cold) only for those you wish to grow out of season?
What if it's still moderate temps for a few more weeks? Will the bulbs I put outside grow now instead of in the spring? Would they grow now if I grew them in doors?
Told you it was elementary, but I really would like to get it straight once (or twice) and for all.
Thanks,
Michael

No. They will come up and bloom next spring.

you wish to grow out of season?
Yes.

outside grow now instead of in the spring?
No. They need several weeks of cold in order to bloom.
>Would they grow now if I grew them in doors?
They need 14 to 20 weeks of cold preparation at 41 to 48 degrees, followed by two to three weeks indoors to force them to flower. You can purchase "pre-chilled" bulbs meant for forcing. sed5555
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:18:41 -0500, Michael Meric wrote:

Only the roots will grow until the ground freezes.

Yes, for the ones meant to be planted outside.

Yes.

No, don't swaet it.

No they need a cold spell. Do a google search on forcing bulbs.

Just water the bulbs in after planting to settle the soil and eliminate air pockets and start the growth.
I have a question similiar to the OP. I planted some Dutch Iris bulbs last month and now they are starting to sprout. I never gave them a cold treatment. Should I protect them over the winter, bring them inside, or leave as it is already. I'm in NYC zone 7. -Theo
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:19:28 -0500, Theo wrote:

Leave em.
No need to do anything, except to add a bit of loose mulch (bark mulch, leaves) if you haven't already. The foliage may grow a bit more, but it will slow down and stop as the weather gets colder, and they will bloom at the proper time in the spring without any kind of intervention.
Dutch iris often do this, as do grape hyacinth.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlink.net
Zone 6, South-central PA

I've patches of three heirloom irises which are showing the tops of their fat blades right now, &amp they've all been in the ground for a couple of years. It seems to be pretty normal.
-paghat the ratgirl