EASTERN WHITE PINE PRUNING

I have 3 of these evergreen conifers on my property (approx 30 ft tall). I was thinking of pruning the lower branches of the tree to promote higher growth on top and to clear the area for mowing/people, etc. Some say its OK to prune off branches up to 10 ft or so, others say I should not do this and just mulch around the trees. Which is best? Also if I were to prune these branches, when would be the best time of year to do so? I live in the Northeast (NJ). Thanks for any and all input.

www.na.fs.fed.us/.../ howtos/ht_white/white.htm
Joseph,
If by "...pruning the lower branches" you mean removing the lower branches, you can do it anytime. However, removing lower branches will have little or no effect on top growth.
--beeky