Easter Lily question

I am in zone 9B/10a. I have been raising red amaryllis successfully for a few years. Last spring I bought ten Easter Lily plants in bloom right after easter. I put them in somewhat larger pots, adding the best miracle gro potting soil. The red amaryllis are enduring the summer just fine, as usual, however almost all the easter lillies have (or appear to have) died. Are they really dead, or will they sprout again in the spring like tulip bulbs? I am under the impression easter Lillies can't take direct sun, unlike the red amaryllis, so I have kept them in the shade under a tree. I think the Easter Lillies are close cousins of the red amaryllis, are they not? (But then the red amaryllis does have a different shape, not having any central plant stalk)

By "last spring" do you mean this past Easter? If so, Easter lilies (Lilium longiflorum) are typically greenhouse grown and forced into bloom for that particular season. In a garden setting their bloom time will be significantly later, generally mid to late June here in the PNW. As with all true lilies, once their bloom time is over, the stalks will slowly dry up and when totally brown and dry, can be removed. If drainage is correct (very important with most true lilies), the bulb will produce a new shoot early next spring and bloom at its proper time.
Lilies and amaryllis are not really very closely related - two separate plant families entirely (Liliaceae and Amaryllidaceae).
pam - gardengal
You might try growing Phillipine lilies---they love New Orleans weather and partia al sun, look very much like Easter lilies but bloom in midsummer, and grow zemedelec
I am in northern suburb of Washington D.C., think it is zone 6a may be. I planted many Asiatic lilyis(sp?) and they were doing just fine for a while. I got interested in flowers when I saw the flowers on Princes Diana's casket. I wanted to plant them and I did. But slowly they are becoming smaller group. The pink one I think Star Gazer was absolutely beautifull but, they start by leaves turning to yellow and slowly they do not come the next year any more. The pink one is gone and now the white ones (oh they are so gargeous and smell so good, right now they are in bloom) are also experiencing the same. I am afraid I am going to loose'm all. What do I do?

They're not closely related, they're different families. The amaryllis (actually Hippeastrum, unless you have something like A. belladonna) bulbs are much more tolerant of summer conditions. And Easter lilies are forced for Easter (if left to their own devices, they'd bloom in June) and often don't survive the experience. True lilies of any kind need a green thumb in summer-dry climates.
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Christopher Green) wrote in message news> > They're not closely related, they're different families. The amaryllis

Several years ago a friend gave me a pot of Easterlillies from the florist. I enjoyed them until they gave up the ghost and left them in the pot in a secluded place in the solarium. One day while cleaning up the area i decided i'd just stick them in the ground and if they lived fine and if not.. tough! As you can see, i was/am ignorant of handling Easter Lillies! The next spring they began coming up and bloomed every year since and rpagated something awsome!!! on or before Mother's day! and what a wonderful scent for a long time of blooms! The bulbs i bought to my new home drowned from an extremely wet season and i am without them now. I surely do miss them. lee h