Earthworms in gutters

Cleaned out the house gutters, and in the leaves that accumulated, found night crawlers. How on earth do these worms make it up to the top of the house and into the gutters?

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Dudley

They fly!! Birds gather several at the time and drop some along the way!!

Tom J

Marshall Dudley wrote:

Reply to
Tom J

They use very tiny climbing harnesses like these:

JoeSpareBedroom

Belay on!

Cheryl Isaak

Have you ever heard of a wormhole? supposedly lets you get from point A to point B without the distance inbetween. Well, who do you think invented them? :>)

I vote for the bird theory

Reply to
jmagerl

ROTFL!

Cheryl Isaak

Who said it was theory?? :-)

Just watch birds gathering worms to feed the young in the spring. They gather a beak full, fly to the gutter/housetop/tree before flying to the nest. Some of the worms wiggle free on the way. Had one drop on my bald head once. :-(

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Perhaps the birds are using your rain gutters to raise their own worms. Just a thought..

However, I have found snake skins in my rain gutters. I assume they get there by crawling up the trees. From the gutters it is possible to enter the attic through air vents which explains the 3 foot long snake skin found in the attic during some heating system work last month.

I vote for the bird theory

Reply to
nonews