Dying 'Palm' tree ?

this is my first post so please be gentle with me.

i'm not sure exactly of the species of plant, but i believe it's a palm.

the problem is that this year it looks as if it's dying, the leaves are turning brown all over and there aren't any fresh green leaves emerging.

we live in the very north of scotland so have been surprised it's made it this far, but i was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on what to do/how to revive it.

i've attached a picture, it's in a south facing garden, but is exposed to high winds. has the last brutal winter been too much for it ? please help !

many thanks Robert

greenasiam

It could be some kind of yucca, there are many species. It looks morbid but not yet dead, give it another 4-6 weeks to shoot again from the centre otherwise give up.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Hi Roger, If that picture is recent, then you have nothing to worry about as to me it doesnt look like its dead ! Yes its scorched and a little brown but I think you'll find that its ok. One way to find out is to get a set of steps and have a look at the growing point, if its green then your ok, if its dead it will be brown and will pull out ! Most Cordyline australis (cabbage palm) die because the trunk freezes thus killing the top and I think the reason why yours didnt die is that the mass of dead leaves hanging down (as per picture) actually protected the trunk, this is why we always advise that you dont remove those dead leaves until the spring. Given the very worst case senario that it is actually still dying (which I doubt very much) and the top collapses completely then , it will send shoots from the base of the trunk, when these shoots are established (2-3ft tall) thin them out to 3 and you will end up with a multple stemmed plant. Thre is a certain look to a cordyline thats dying and yours doesnt have it so, just leave it alone and even those scorched leaves will very quickly naturally drop off as new growth comes from the top again. Lannerman

lannerman