Dying nootka cypress

Hello all, I have a weeping cypress that seems to be dying. I planted it last year in May. It made it through the winter, but it is now turning brown. I think it is dying. I have no idea what to do. Please advise.
Rhode Island. Plant is 6 feet tall. Thank you for your help.
My first guess would be winter burn, especially with the January we had this year. C. nootkatensis does not fare well with cold, dry conditions. In my opinion they are also a bit slow to root. Given the fact it had not much time to add fine roots the desiccation pressure may have done it in.
Look, too, for rodent damage where the trunk meets the ground as well. Those same winter conditions forced a lot of rodents into mulched areas with nothing to eat for a long time. Also beware of road salt, and chlorine from pool filter backflush.
My condolences.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC