Dwarf Plum Tree -- mold problems

Hi there.

I live in Southeastern Massachusetts and have several fruit trees; most of them are 3-4 years old.

My dwarf plum tree really came to life this year (year 4) and had a tremendous showing of fruit -- too much actually, I will prune next year.

The problem is that 95% of the fruit ended up getting moldy before it ripened. I've tried google groups to see if there's a simple answer, but couldn't find one.

I doubt this is normal, but I am at a loss as to what to do to try and prevent this problem next year.

Thanks!

-- Mike

Reply to
Mike Sousa

Hi Mike, Are you spraying with any fungicides? I had a lot of surface mold like damage on my Stanley Plum this year, which I attribute to the periods of intermittent damp and cold weather here in the Midwest. The fruit was still edible. Any signs of problems on the leaves or branches? Check out the following site for more clues:

Hope this helps,

Sherwin D.

Sherw> Hi there.

Reply to
sherwindu

.

The most common disease of stone fruits is called brown rot. So if you were to web search "plum brown rot" and pick from the .edu sites you would get all the information you want. Control begins with sanitation, every last one of those mummified fruit have to be removed from the tree and the ground.

Reply to
Beecrofter

They were treated in the spring -- though I admit, I'm not sure exactly what was used. It's a 'dad' thing.

Branches and leaves are fine. The tree is otherwise thriving.

Thanks, Sherwin. The link will be put to good use.

Reply to
Mike Sousa

Brown rot -- that's exactly what it has. I've cleaned out the tree and grass surrounding the drip line. Learned some interesting stuff at:

the fact that my peach tree has Peach Leaf Curl; and here I am thinking that those colorful hard leaves are decorative. Heh.

Thanks for the info!

-- Mike

Reply to
Mike Sousa