Dry Areas Under HUGE Eaves

Page 2 of 2
They aren't a foundation plant but my hollyhocks do fine under the eaves.... they don't get quite as tall if I don't water them from time to time, about once a week at best but they grow and bloom. I have a couple mock oranges under my eaves that are huge, they have have been put in by the original owner 100 years ago. I have a Prairie Style home also known as a Four Square, gotta love Mission/Craftsman Style with an art deco twist :o) Colleen Zone 5 CT
Doug Kanter wrote:

How about some variety of barberry? They are tough buggers and the thorns provide good security under windows.
Laura B.

for
there
deep.
in
5-6
Hey...that's actually a good idea. And, birds can hide in them and thumb their beaks/noses at cats. :-)

have a similar sitation, compounded by those thingies that go over windows to shade them. It is a small brick home on a concrete slab and most people in this area put soakers around the foundations to keep the soil reasonably moist else the brick can crack from the swelling and shrinking of the soil. SOOoooo.... with that problem solved, the plants get the water they want, too! People who have basements usually do the same thing to protect the basement walls. good luck...Leo

for
there
deep.
in
5-6
Care to elaborate on the "protect the basement walls" thought?