drought conditions

just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

rachael simpson

We had a dry summer nothing like what you describe. So the following growing season we mulched real heavy an as it happened we had a very wet season. You can put it on but we can't take it off. This a few years back about ~ 5.

Anyway

for moderation in some things.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

18,? admits Lynn Carr, of Carr Farms in Newton Grove.

In the 12 months ending 30 June, Los Angeles had 3.21 inches. Where I live, we had more: 4.57 inches for the year. It is now 90 days since the last measurable rain, and we won't likely see any rain until November.

No, I don't live in Death Valley or the Mojave Desert. I live in Ventura County, one of the nation's most important agricultural counties. We are a major source of lemons, strawberries, avocados, tomatoes, celery, and other produce as well as nursery stock and cut flowers.

Reply to
David E. Ross

REMEMBER that the biggest problem for trees during drought is over watering of urban trees. Of course lack of nurse logs in wooded areas is a serious problem for trees during drought.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Reply to
jangchub

Right...

;-)

Ice Age any> And in Central TX we've had more rain then we normally get in a year.

Reply to
Omelet

That's after coming out of a 3 year drought. The last year was considered a severe drought. Year total to date this year exceeds the entire yearly total expected in an average year by 50%. Everything including the dead lawns are now green. Live oaks in the hill country are still sprouting new leaves, unusual. The bug and varmint population is loving it.

The cause of the drought (high pressure cells hanging in one place for an extended period of time), and unusual amount of precipitation/cloud cover/lower temps (low cells doing similar) is debatable. After "proof" is presented, its a matter of leap of faith to arrive at a conclusion. That's what science is based on, many people forget. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Awful. Here in TN we're so far below normal in rainfall pastures are already brown and stock ponds are drying up. Crops have failed and unless watered, gardens dry up and die. This is the worst drought I can remember since moving here 25 years ago.

Reply to
Manelli Family

We normally get 31 inches of rain in C. Texas. We sit directly in the part of this state where four of the ten regions in TX intersect. We are also on the dry line.

I'm not sure what you are say>That's after coming out of a 3 year drought. The last year was considered a

Reply to
jangchub

It's gettin' so dry here that I saw a tree chasin' a dog yesterday.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Yep, that's where we're at. That dry line may move or disappear if it keeps raining...

I've seen plenty of evidence to support that we're in the middle of a climate change. Including the Al Gore film concerning global warming.

My opinion is there is enough evidence to conclude so as well. The basic core reason for me, like so many other things, is the human population is too high for this planet to support. Their energy usage habits, resulting of CO gases are just secondary effects. The basic problem remains unaddressed. Depressing and sad as it may be, only a calamity can fix it. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
jangchub

There are too many obstacles for effective population birth limits. A few religions outlaw birth control. Some couples have more babies than usual if in poverty. Some women intentionally get pregnant to "fix" a broken marriage. Teen sex and subsequent children follow. Older couples are having babies now, intended or unintended. Last, but probably most of all, the economic system of this country depends on more of everything for continued growth. This means more babies.

Reply to
Dave