Drainage...

Recently had septic pump problems. The fellow doing the repairs noticed that soil and water were probably making their way into the pump chamber on one side. He suggested I dig a channel to allow the water/drainage to make its way around the pump chamber.
I've dug most of the channel. Now I'm wondering what to fill it with. At first I thought I'd just place the original grass back on top. But that would be difficult to maintain and dangerous for walking.
So I'm thinking about filling it with small stones. Is this the best way to go? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA
On 8 Oct 2006 16:35:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Crushed stone, 3/4" is standard for drainage ditches around here. Cover the stone with landscape cloth and then soil - the cloth will keep the soil from clogging up the stone. Then plant whatever you want on top.
John
John Bachman wrote:

Thanks very much John for your reply. Now I know how to go about completing this work.
Eric