Draecena F. Query

I have 5 ft high plant . . . . perhaps 7 or 8 years old (?) that is getting very wilted, with yellowing tips and a few yellowed/dead areas within the central areas of the leaves that are beginning to show as open holes. I'm not certain just what happened. The plant was always doing very well. It was only since early autumn to now that these effects began to be noted. I began grappling with this problem after first noticing the wilted appearance and curling leaves. I knew the plant was potbound, so I switched to a slightly larger pot. I didn't really notice anything distinct or off during the transplant . . . soil moisture was good. It was very rootbound, and the majority of the roots had a very "woody" appearance to them (I suspect that this is normal?). With the onset of winter, our hot water heating has kept the room to about 20 degrees Celsius. That temp is no different than any of the other years. I've reviewed many comments and have a multitude of reasons . . . . too much water, too little water, too drafty/cold, too warm . . . you get the picture.

Any opinions? I'm pretty desperate as this plant is a keepsake; a sentimental favorite of my late wife's. I'm wondering whether it could simply be age and I should look at taking a cutting or other and start a new plant?

thanks for any and all

Reply to
Monroe

The same thing happened to mine and I suspected underwatering since it was so potbound. I was never able to get it to recover, but I did cut the top off, about 6 inches, and stuck it in moist soil and covered it with the bottom half of a large clear plastic container . It was very successful, and I now have a new dracena f. Hope this helps.

Lorraine

Reply to
Mrs. Lorraine P. Bilek

It may have ran out of some micronutrients. Once a year I give my plants either manure (after having put them outside for the summer. I also put earthworms in for mixing) and/or some wood ash. I always give them some sort of organic matter. I see that problem with a lot of houseplants, but it has never occurred to me.

Reply to
simy1