Dracaena marginata (indoor) - White insect attack

Hi,
We've had a Dracaena marginata indoors since about Christmas. It's doing great, new growth has been developing and all seemed well.
Then we noticed some white 'fluff' at the base of the new growth areas at the top of the branches. On closer inspection we can also see what look like small white woodlouse. More worryingly, these are eating away at the leaves.
We purchased some Provado Bug Killer from the local nursery but this doesn't seem to have helped. Particularly as the 'white fluff' (which I presume is eggs?) is deep in the base of the new leaves.
What can we do to get rid of these bugs? Does anyone know what they are?
Many thanks in advance.
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:30:18 -0800, Uncle_Jarvis wrote:

I have a home remedy which seems to work find on some houseplant insects.
1/4 cup of denatured alcohol (isopropyl) 3/4 cup of water 1/2 tsp of Dawn brand dish soap
Put in a spray bottle and spray the plant. Monitor the plant. Repeat the spray about 2 weeks later. If there is additional activity, repeat again.
I have tried this on tropical hibiscus with no negative effect on the plant. I had spider mites. They are now gone.
Sometimes I have noticed that soil which never seems to dry out attracts critters. Keeping a gentle breeze across plants may help. You have to decide for yourself.
If my brew works, please post. This is a formula that I have been using for about 6 months with no adverse effects. It needs more testing to make sure it is the inexpensive and viable control that it seems to be.
WiGard wrote:

Suggest you substitute 2 cups muriatic acid for the 3/4 cup of water. It is available at any swimming pool supply store and works wonders on insects.
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:34:00 -0500, Amber L. wrote:

You are kidding, of course. If you are not, suggestions such as yours in the hands of the gullible will surely harm something or someone.

No, not kidding, trolling. We've seen this kind of dreck before. Of course you shouldn't use muriatic acid on anything living, like plants, or people! But trolls don't care who they hurt.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:59:38 -0500, Ann wrote:

I hope you don't think I'm a troll.

Oh, no, of course not! I was talking about Amber L.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:52:19 -0500, Ann wrote:

Whew! Thanks.

Sounds like mealy bugs. See: http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Plants/mealy2b.htm sed5555
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Sed5555) wrote in message

Thanks to all of the replies (although I'm not sure who to believe on the remedies!).
They look exactly like the picture of mealybugs. Thanks, now I know what they are.