dormant spray questions? sulfur vs. copper etc

I've been getting conflicting advise re: dormant spray for peach, nectarine, apricot etc. I was told that sulfur is bad for apricots but that copper is OK for everything. My questions:

  1. Other than for apricots, is sulfur better than copper? What's the difference in using one vs. the other?

  1. Why is the recommended mix more concentrated for sulfur (4 oz per gal) than for copper (4-5 tbl. per gal.) ?

  2. Some of the trees show little drops of sap on the trunk and some branches. What the best remedy for this?
Reply to
r1

The best dormant spray for pit fruits that I have encountered is oil emulsion (dormant oil spray) Lime and sulphur combination dormant sprays is good for certain conditions. Copper sprays are normally used only for control of fungus like brown rot in fruits and are applied after fruit set. In any event, unless you have a huge orchard and are comfortable mixing chemicals, buy a prepared mix which sets the amount water to be used in dilution.

Drops of sap, especially on the trunk, may indicate borers which requires a fairly strong pesticide applied when they become active ie about full bloom to petal drop.

Reply to
FarmerDill

Thanks, Dill. I was trying to understand the difference in effect of using copper and sulfur. The instructions on the containers say they are both good for peach leaf curl, which is the main problem I have. I didn't say, but I always mix in some Volk oil.

Reply to
r1

Never found either of them effective against Peach leaf curl which was prevalent in the New River Valley. Have not encountered it since I moved to Georgia. At that time I used a fungicide especially formulated for peach leaf curl (Ferbam) . According to Virginai Tech Daconil will also work. If you are organic Gardens alive claims that thier "Soap Shield Fungicide" will work. They also claim that Bordeau Mixture will work but I have tried that one with VERY poor results.

dill

Reply to
FarmerDill