Dogtooth Lilies

The dogtooth lily leaves are up & more beautiful than hostas. The hardiest of all dogtooth lilies, the yellow hybrid called "Pagoda," has always done spectacularly well, but a little pink one, E. dens-canis, did not do much last year. Right now though I see it not only is leafing up beautifull, it is actually leafing up in a foot-wide area with lots & lots & lots of leaves, though I'm pretty sure only one had been planted from a pot into that location. I now wonder if the pink failed to bloom in 2003 because it was being exclusively energetic about reproducing itself underground. Some of the yellow "Pagoda" have been in their spots for four years & never spread like that, though they certainly do get bigger & better every year.
Trillium leaves are also getting quite lovely, especially the mottled ones.
The kaufmanniana tulips are blooming this week, though the majority of other species tulips are still only leaves.
The last of the yellow crocuses to flower in our garden is "Stellaris." When they began to appear, I realized I'd kind of screwed up last year when I planted a Kehr azalea in an "empty" spot which turns out to be right over the "Stellaris." They've been popping up around the edge of the azalea. Oh well; they still look nice, but it's no longer a whole big drift of them.
-paghat the ratgirl
from snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) contains these words:

Spit :~}. A friend of mine has yards of the pink dens canis one naturalised like a rampant weed in her shady lawn under a yew tree. She's given me lots but in my last garden they just sulked along for years, not multiplying and not doing well in the flower department either, though I did enjoy those blotchy leaves. I didn't do any better with Pagoda, shop bought.
Janet
Too mean to supply any website references with this post.