Dog digging in flowerbed :(

Page 2 of 2
Snort- TOOOO EASY
o | | o | o /| | o / | _ | ___/ |__ /_ | / o \_/ _ \_/ > ) _ _ \____ ___/ \ _ \ | \_ \| TrollFish® ©1998 HUMPH!®©½ o
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:57:05 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."

Add pictures here
✖
Yes yes, we already knew the only troll on board was yourself. When you anonymize yourself in order to make light of child molestation, confessing that to you "It's amusing how many people rape their kids," & then you brag that you've easily trolled the ng after you are provided with the level of respect you merit, well, it's misplaced pride to say the least.
-paghat the ratgirl

http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
✖
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:02:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote:

Dropped off the meds again I see.

Add pictures here
✖

So you are admitting it, eh Rickett?
Shouldn't you be at your weekly AAAKKK meeting?

✖
Have you considered an invisible fence. I hear they work quite nice.
Add pictures here
✖

Persistent digging (like biting or persistent barking or chewing everyone's stuff to pieces) tends to be a neurotic behavior, usually caused by some degree of bad socialization or neglect or loneliness or stress in the dog's life, all invariably the fault of the owner. Once a bad behavior begins, it will not stop until you have gone through some strict training alongside the dog with a trainer expert in modifying harmful behaviors in dogs -- & harmful care techniques of owners. People unwilling to invest the time, money, & training required to have a healthy happy well-behaved dog should meet the same fates as most of these poor animals.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
✖
Sorry, but sometimes certain dog behaviors such as digging are not at all about neurotic dogs, but simply part of the particular dog's breeding. Training can sometimes help curb the behavior, but it usually doesn't work to entirely extinguish the innate behavior of certain breeds. In that case, why fight mother dog nature when it's so much easier to use fencing to exclude off limit areas and then work on training the dog to redirect the digging to an acceptable area? Suzy O

✖
Suzy O Sorry, but sometimes certain dog behaviors such as digging ar
not at all about neurotic dogs, but simply part of the particular dog's breeding. Training can sometimes help curb the behavior, but it usually doesn' work to entirely extinguish the innate behavior of certain breeds. In tha case, why fight mother dog nature when it's so much easier to use fencing to exclude off limit areas and then work on training the dog to redirec the digging to an acceptable area? Suzy O
"paghat" snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote in message wrote:
hi everyone sorry i didnt introduce myself earlier im sockiescat an i live on a farm in ontario canada.
i have a problem that hopefully someone might be able to help m with. we redid a couple of flowerbeds this year with new shrubs and some perennials. the problem that we are now having is my sons dog (which we ended up with lol) is now digging up those flowerbeds. its really getting t me because she is a medium size dog and digs huge holes to lay in. we have tried just about everything thinkable to try and stop her but she just wont listen. does anyone have any suggestions as to what we might be able to tr to stop the flowerbed digging dog. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks for any info you can give us. take care, sockiescat
Persistent digging (like biting or persistent barking or chewing everyone's stuff to pieces) tends to be a neurotic behavior, usually caused by some degree of bad socialization or neglect or lonelines or stress in the dog's life, all invariably the fault of the owner. Onc a bad behavior begins, it will not stop until you have gone throug some strict training alongside the dog with a trainer expert in modifying harmful behaviors in dogs -- & harmful care techniques of owners People unwilling to invest the time, money, & training required to have healthy happy well-behaved dog should meet the same fates as most of thes poor animals.
-paghat the ratgirl -- Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html "In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot." -Thomas Jefferson
yup paghat some dogs can do strange things if they are neglected o under stress but this dog gets lots of love and attention. she follow me everywhere i go and puts her nose in my hand if im walking or lay her head on my lap if im sitting outside so i sure dont think that sh is to neglected. i want to thank everyone for their comments and ideas on how to dea with nora. i ended up squirting her with the hose if i was out and had caught he near the flower beds. as well as using a firm command of NO if she did go near them and didnt have the hose then praised her if she left them alone. we also encouraged her to dig over near our grain bin so that she ha another place to dig and followed up with a lot of praise when she di so. of course she also had to have some treats to go along with that prais lol. she didnt do to badly up until snow fly so i guess we will see wha happens in the spring again. thanks again everyone. sockiescat
-- sockiescat
Add pictures here
✖
sockiescat wrote:

Try laying a piece of concrete reinforcement wire or a cattle panel on the ground in the bed and cover it with mulch. That should discourage the dog very quickly when it tries to dig.
-Bob
Add pictures here
✖
Yeah, set a trap and bloody those paws.
That should teach that no good varmint.
Who's going to clean up all that blood when it gets tracked all over the house on the rugs and the furniture?
That idea is even dumber that the dog.

Add pictures here
✖
I didn't say barbed wire. Have you ever seen a cattle panel? The wire is smooth and almost 1/4" diameter.
Regards, Bob
Cereus-validus-........... wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Are you, by any chance, amending the soil with bone meal? Years ago when my mother was a new gardener she tried to keep a rosebush by the corner of the porch. Every time she put the thing in the ground the dog would dig it up, and she just couldn't understand why - the dog wasn't usually a digger. One of her friends had told her to use bone meal as rose food. Finally my father figured it out <G> The rose died, the dog stopped digging, and Mom stopped using bone meal while the dog was alive.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts