Does Tomato Blossom Set Spray Work???

Saw an ad for Tomato Blossom Set Spray in this week's hardware circular. I don't have any idea if it really works or not. Does anyone have any first (or even second)-hand experience with this stuff?
Bob Hofmann

A healthy outdoor tomato plant needs no spray to set fruit. The breeze will do it.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of

http://gardening.about.com/od/organicgardenin1/f/Epsom_Salts.htm
Do Epsom Salts Really Help Plants Grow Better? Researchers have never been terribly impressed with the effects of Epsom salts on plants. (snip) However, experienced gardeners have been swearing by Epsom salts for years, and folk wisdom is often ahead of scientific study. -----
I'll be trying it as soon as the night time temp gets above 55F.
--

- Billy
In article

We went with additions of things like Rock Phosphate, Green Sand, Barber hair clippings etc. Soil amendments based on price and availability. Encyclopedia of organic gardening has more details.
<http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/altsoilamend.html
Bill with much rain washing in new milky spore.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.
Billy wrote:

You are giving your plants a quick hit of soluble magnesium, if this was what was required you would get noticable results and find it worked even quicker as a foliar spray than on the ground.
While folk wisdom is often right but it lacks the mechanisms to be sure and to tease out real effects from mere ritual and side issues. Science has the better methods but the scope of its work is too often bound by what makes money. Personally I am trying to give the desire for perfect methods as I see no prospect of realisation.
David

Ah, the rational mind. What a wonder it is. Don't stop. Continue.
--

- Billy

That was supposed to be
Personally I am trying to give UP the desire for perfect methods as I see no prospect of realisation.
David

Damn. Like they say,"All pain is desire". Oh well, back to work.
--

- Billy

Interesting discussion, but no one has answered my questions does the blossom set really work?????
Interesting discussion, but no one has answered my questions does the blossom set really work?????
Sorry I have no idea as I have never had the problem.
David
In article

Haven't you been following along?
What part of "Researchers have never been terribly impressed with the effects of Epsom salts on plants. Gardeners are a different story and the use of Epsom salts is a gardening tip passed down for generations.", didn't you understand? Whether I have a good crop of tomatoes this year or not, it will just be one data point. What the hell. It can't hurt. Or if you don't like that cavalier attitude, then consider doing a Ph.D thesis on the subject so that we don't get it wrong ;O)
--

- Billy

What does epsom salts have to do with blossom Set Spray???
In article

<http://gardening.about.com/od/organicgardenin1/f/Epsom_Salts.htm
<http://www.nres.uiuc.edu/uploads/files/extension/hfs/MicroFertRec.pdf
Bill
--

http://gardening.about.com/od/organicgardenin1/f/Epsom_Salts.htm and http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0313545916543.html response from carolyn137
--

- Billy

I should add that tomatos will not flower and set fruit properly if the temperature is either too high or too low. Not knowing how this spray is supposed to work I cannot guess if it will cure that problem.
David

As long as people keep spending their money on it, I'd say it fulfills it's purpose quite nicely.
In article

In rec.gardens.edible, Gunner just posted http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_ files/index.html which leads to http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_ files/Myths/magazine%20pdfs/EpsomSalts.pdf which says no, unless you have a magnesium deficiency in the soil. Bim-batta-boom, case sol-ved.
--

- Billy

.
Fast acting magnesium supplement, use when fertilizers don't include Mg -- such as Miracle grow all purpose. Use 1 - 2 tsp per gallon.
Adding dolomite to soil before planting supplies magnesium and calcium, in equal amounts, both of which tomatoes need especially.